Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

external firewire cd writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkman

Programmer
Oct 9, 2001
US
just bought an external firewire drive. Can read from the disk no prob, but can't burn to it. When I insert a blank cd-r, I get the dialog box that asks me how I want to open the disk. When I try to open in it with finder, I get the following error: "You cannot burn this disc in the Finder because the disc drive is not supported." The other two methods of opening the disk (iTunes and Disk Copy) get similar errors. After receiving the error, nothing is mounted on the desktop and I cannot eject the cd using the eject button. I've been powering down and up the cd-writer to be able to eject the cd. The CD-Writer is an internal ata drive wrapped in a Micro Plus ME-320F box, which has an external hard drive. The product is listed as an external CyberDrive. The Device claims compatiblity with os x 8.6 and above (as well as windows 98,me,2000,xp).

I'm guessing the problem is that osx recognizes the burner as a cd-rom drive, not a cd-writer. Suggestions on how to get the drive to be properly recognized? By the way, I'm using a powerbook g4 - 500 MHz.

-Venkman

Check with the manufacturers web site for drivers, we had some issues with firewire hard drives not being recognised and this seemed to rectify it.
Something well worthwhile though is investing in a copy of Roxios Toast Titanium. We have TWO external firwire CD writers, "Que!Fire" hooked up to a blue G3, MacOS 9.2, and are able to write to both, the same or different information. 2 cd's written and verified every 6 minutes.
Pretty neat!
regards
Tony

It auto updated when I installed it (2 or 3 weeks ago), so I think that makes it 10.2, right? I think toast works with it, but I just got that and I haven't had a chance to really test it out. My mac guru friend, who gives me newbie mac support in exchange for newbie linux support, says that he was unable to find a driver for cyberdrive. He's relatively confident Toast will work without problems though.

-Venkman

HI I dont know if this will work for u But when I had a problem not being able to eject a CD on the internal drive I dragged the icon from the desktop to the TRASH, that worked.
saves powering up and down each time.

Let me know if it does for U
Shirl[flowerface]ey Learn something new every day.

I use Toast and iTunes to burn. I first start those, and put the cd in *after* the program asks for it. That always works. If I put in the blank cd earlier, I get the same message. Don't know if this helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back