Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Device weird behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWorld

Technical User
Jun 7, 2005
US
Hi, guys

I have this 5.25 USB 2.0 external enclosure. What bothers me is that Windows (XP PROFESSIONAL) can't recognize whatever I put inside the enclosure, either it is a hard disk or a dvd-burner.

The hard disk and the dvd burner are both working properly if they are attatched to another enclosure.

For the "bad" one, the power does go through. But the device just not recognized.

What could be the possible causes for these?

thanks

Try another USB port sounds like USB port your are using is bad. If you do not have another port and you are using a Desktop buy a PCI USB expansion card. If you are using a notebook purchase a PCMCIA expansion card.

Good Luck

TO ONE4THUMB:

THE USB PORTS ARE ALL GOOD, OTHER DEVICES ATTACHED TO THOSES PORTS ARE FUNCTIONING PROPERLY.

THANKS THOUGH

what brand enclosure are you using this could possibly be a driver issue with the enclosure if they work in other ones also make sure there are no jumpers possibly inside it or on the devices as they are not needed if you are in a usb enclosure!

Remember free things are fun but they can come with an emotional price tags..

Hi, Codeman

The enclosure I believe is actually generic. I bought it from eBay. The seller advertised that the enclosure used a chipset called Cypress AT 2+, and there should be no compatibility issue with this chipset.

I have checked, and didn't find any jumper.

And for the driver thing you mentioned, what information should I look for from the enclosure besides the brand, so I could determine what driver to lood for?

Thanks

I have an enclosure with the cypress at2+ and windows has no problem detecting it or whatever device is installed within the enclosure. Only windows 98 requires installation of a driver. Make sure your jumper settings on the drive is set for master. I'm not sure if it will work properly on cable select. If it isn't the jumper setting on the drive then you probably got an enclosure with a defective usb-ide controller.

One other thing is make sure the drive in the enclosure has fully powered up before connecting the usb cable to the computer.

Hi, ImpetusEra

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the enclosure is fully powered up, I can hear the fan spinning, and some noises for the hard disk or the DVD burner.

The jumper is set to master.

It is just that there is no icon showing up in the explorer. Sometimes, the computer reports a Mass Storage Device, but the driver can't be installed successfully, and a yellow exclamation appears. But even this unsuccessful installation could only be detected like one out of ten times. Other times, there is just no response, as if nothing is connected.

Thanks

JWorld
Sounds like the PCB within the housing is defective in some way, if you say you have tried plugging this into more than one computer with XP SP1 or newer and you have used different devices within the housing, different USB cable?
As there aren't any drivers to load (XP with SP1 or newer)
Thats about all you can do!
RMA to vendor (ebay) as faulty
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Hi, paparazi,

Yes, I originally suspected PCB problem that too.

I did try plugging the enclosure to more than one computer, one was the "native" XP Pro, one was SP1, and a third one with SP2 installed. (All pro version)

The hard disk or DVD burner are both working fine if they are used as internal devices, or put inside my other enclosure, which is generic too though.

As to returning, unfortunately the bidding contract on eBay says that I have to assume the shipping cost, which is twice more than the enclosure costs. I guess I would just get another one then. This time i'll go for a brand name one.

Thanks, to all or you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back