Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

external cd-r problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogues

Technical User
Jun 15, 2003
GB
My laptop has a dvd but no cd-r. I have an external Freecom cd-r with a firewire port on the m'board so i thought i'd just plug it in and set it up.

Only problem being that no way can i get the laptop to recognize its exitence. Tried everything. Add/remove hardware gets me no where, tried a firewire pccard to no avail, loaded the s'ware first no go etc.

I've got w98/w2000/XP installed and none of them see it or can load. I mainly use w2000(service pack 3).

The laptop is a clone(i think) with an SIS 650 chipset,celeron 2ghz cpu and 30gb h'drive.

Also tried removing the DVD from a different h'ware profile.

Any help will be massively appreciated.

Grogues

I don't know if this will be much help to you, but I hve had a problem in Windows XP, where an external Freecom CDRW would not be recognised unless the version of Easy CD Creator that it came with was installed. Installing the software from a different CD (supposedly same version) wouldn't work and applying the latest patch also mean't the drive would no longer be detected.

You probably tried this? Although it sounds like your problem is a bit different anyway, as this was only in XP - 2000/98 were fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back