Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Access Meridian Mail 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovemyphone

Technical User
Nov 24, 2004
CA
Good day, can anyone tell me how I set up an external access phone number to get to an internal voice mail? Thank you for any help. Alana

If you have a DID range I would take an unused DID and build it as a dummy ACD queue and set the NCFW to your voicemail DN.

any nunber that you can now dial can be turned into the external voice mail access, if it's a cot theirs a setup, if it's a did, theirs a different setup, let us know which your using and someone can give you a hand... if you need translation on trunk types, just ask, we never know a persons level until they ask

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

thank you John, i checked via paper work on the # and it is a did. please can you tell me the setup. i would appreciate knowing how to find the type over the switch rather than just paperwork! also, what does cot mean? thank you. alana

Your voicemail ext. is a DID? if so, then just call the area code, exchange and ext. of your voicemail and you'll be able to access it. For example, if voicemail ext. is 1234 and you know that's a DID (direct inward dial) just dial your area code, exchange plus 1234. COT means Central Office Trunk. If you did not have DIDs you could use a COT for direct access.

hi, thank you, i do get into the mailbox prompt when following your instructions but when i try to get into the maintenance mode by dialling 3997 i cant as a result of the voicemail having a menu item to press 3 to go to a phone therefore when i attempt to type in 3997 as soon as the 3 is entered it forwards; there is no time to type in the remaining three digits. any ideas? thank you.alana

don't understand the 3997 as defined as maint mode, if you have a menu item 3 you can't use 3 as a dial by ext, you'll need to define a dial by ext as a menu item

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

It sounds like you are dialing a menu service and not the voice mail access number (the number you use to check voice mail messages). Check ths access number and see if it is a DID and try it instead of the number of the menu service.

i seem to be very confused.i have a voice menu definition to meridian mail (ie. 1234), off of that there are two menu items, one is an AS recording and one CL forwards to an outside line. how do i change the AS recording? i have tried dialling the exchange xxx-1234 then 81#. I have also tried dialling xxx-1234 the 8*. i keep looping. i cant seem to get to a prompt to allow for a re-recording. any help is appreciated.thank you

do i dial the dn # for the phone or do i phone the number for the voice menu definitions (both are did, also, what do i press to get prompted to allow to re-record on the AS).i am able to do this on a phone that does not have voice menu definitions set up. i know its probably an easy fix but i am a bit frustrated!!i do thank you for your help.

you need prompt maintenance number. You will than need the voice service id and the pasword. See your telephone system administrator.

just go to voice service dn table, add, service type prompt maint, if you don't have a did to use you can point a menu service to the pm dn, or theirs about a million other ways to make it work, just let me know how you want to do it and one of us will give you the steps.. since you are the "system administrator" we'll talk you through it..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

as hillarious as it is, there is no administrator here or for that matter anyone but me, how do i find the prompt maint number. the number i was told is not correct. also is the voice service id the same as the announcement id? i just need to dial in from outside to change the greeting. thank you for any help.alana

Yes, the voice service id is the same as the announcement id.
Do you have access to voicemail and switch programming terminal?

hi john
i do have a did i can use although i am not sure which way is better; the original maint # was not a did (i was wrong earlier). apparently there was a maintenance number xxx-3997 associated with the xxx-1234 (voice service id)but someone unknown changed it(i dont know who did this)! When trying to use the maintenance number it goes to an automized voice recording which we did not set up. when phoning internally the maint. # works properly but from external it goes to the incorrect recording. i dont know how to get the external working as the internal. when i look at the dn for the maintenance on the opt 11, i see it is configured as an acd.anyway i just want to be able to be able to access the menu id from home (not me but a manager) so he can re-record the service outages from home.currently he is driving into work. thank you John and Nortellian

fastest way is to put any did in the idc table, making the output the same as your prompt maint dn, if the old acd is not pointed to voice mail at the ncfw prompt that may be a quick fix, mermail looks at the original dialed dn to direct a number, unless you add a idc which changes the dialed dn before the mail or switch matches it to a call number.. if you take 1234 and change it to 3997 in your idc that will be a fix, if you can add a second pm dn in the voice service dn table options 1 4 1 from the main, that will be a fix, you don't need two but if the mail will allow a second, go for it

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Hi John, thank you for your time.i understand from your comments the following (pls correct if wrong):1.there are a few routes to take,2.make a did the same # as normal maint # then we just dial in - where is idc table?, 3.problem could be because acd is not pointed to vm at ncfw - where is ncfw prompt - would i include the preliminary co digits (ie. 7 digits)for acd/vm voice id, 4. change 1234 to 3997 in idc - i dont think good as 1234 is widely known as the tech support phone - where id idc found? 5. make up a second maint # in mm - nothing more than configuring it as pm? thanks for all your help John.

looks like you've got it ..idc is load 49 prt idc return return, if you have one built it will be table 1, on the inbound route, idc = yes the next 2 prompts (day and night) need to match the idc table number.. and any unused dn can be converted to the pm dn, just enter the 4 digits the co sends and the next line will be the pm dn

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

cool, i shall try.by the way the mm would not take another maint.i believe whole problem is not being able to get on the symposium. will get back to you.thank you.alana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back