Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extensions with 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilogy8

Technical User
Jan 26, 2017
US
Is anyone utilizing 4 digit extensions that start with 0 ? As far as I know 0 is the # for us dialing reception as the operator, which isn't really needed. Just curious what else could bust as a result of using that as an extension.

You have to program "0" to dial an operator. I set 0 as VDN.

Yes, VDN is how I have it today, but we are running short on available 4 digit numbers and I wanteded to know if there were things I need to watch out for if I made 0 an extension of length of 4. I'm fine to give up calling 0 for the operator.

The only real concern is that people sometimes forget to dial a 9 for an outside line.
So you may get more misdials e.g. if someone has the ext 0121 and someone is calling a London number and forget to dial 9.
This assumes you are in UK.

A better way might be to free-up some dialplan space by changing some system numbers (announcements?) to 5 digit.
If your announcements start with a 2xxx for example, you can change them to 22xxx then 21xx, 23xx etc will be available as 4 digit.

Code:
display dialplan analysis                                       Page   1 of  12
                             DIAL PLAN ANALYSIS TABLE

Dialed   Total  Call    Dialed   Total  Call     Dialed   Total  Call
       String   Length Type    String   Length Type     String   Length Type
     21           4    ext
     22           5    ext
     23           4    ext
     24           4    ext
     25           4    ext

I can buy a few numbers back by converting dac/fac to #'s that start with * or #, but I cannot afford to sacrifice a range for the announcements. Being able to use 0xxx gets me 1000 #'s to use. I know 0 is one of those digits that are used within VM and probably other hidden places that I'm worried about.

If you are running out of extension now, then you really need to look at your growth. Because unless you see negative growth in your future you would be better off starting the process of moving to 5, 6, or even 7 digit dial plans. You are going to have issue if you try and use the 0xxx extension.

There is very little appetite for a dial plan expansion. I personally know it will be inevitable, but our team has been told to find any way possible to avoid it. It's not a defcon5 thing to solve right now, but it's crossed into that amber tier. Can you elaborate on what issue I'd run into?

When you do go to change your dialplan I suggest going to the Full E.164. Will prevent problems in the future. Can still allow 4,5,6,7 digit dialing but you do have to be cognizant of overlaps.

I can buy a few numbers back by converting dac/fac to #'s that start with * or #, but I cannot afford to sacrifice a range for the announcements"

???? Not sure what you meant by "cannot afford to sacrifice a range". You don't need to segregate an entire range. You can pick 1 available extension, let's say 5999, and convert that to 7 digits. That means 5000-5998 would still be available to your users/stations, while you could use 599-9000 thru 5999-9999 for announcements, hunt groups, vdn's, tac/fac, modems, etc.

-CL

Yes, this is a simple and logical thing to do. Although I can sympathise with trilogy8 as I am having difficulty getting this through to people in my own organisation.

[hairpull2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back