Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extension Rnage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labash

Programmer
Apr 11, 2008
US
Is there a way to view what extension range is being assigned by our IP400 to our IP sets?
I would like to limit the range to 4 digit extensions that begin with 6, is this possible?

?

Use system monitor and H323 status for a list of your IP Handsets, or depending on your software version just use SSA.

But then as a decent IPO installer / Maintainer - you knew this anyway right?

If I knew I wouldn't be posting the question clown.
I'm not an Avaya guy (Nortel,Cisco) so hopefully someone else will be more helpful.

Ooo oo you are being nasty!!!
The always very helpful hsm does not like these kind of answers.

Do not use all kind of extension ranges.
Keep them all the same length.
There is no need to use different lenghts.

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

I want to find out if there is somehwere I can go to set up a specific range to be assigned.
I do not know where to go to set this up.

You need to be more specific.

The IP Office assigns extensions through DHCP.
Is there a field somewhere that I can utilize to make sure the IP Office only assigns extensions that begin with 6?
Basically can I assign an IP extension range to be used.

DHCP only gives an ip address, not extension numbers.
You need to look in to extensions and users.

Wow a nortel guy calling an avaya guy a clown. That is clown like funny.

It's people like you who generalize.

This is getting fun.

I would like to limit the range to 4 digit extensions that begin with 6, is this possible?

Yes

The IP Office assigns extensions through DHCP.

No, it does not. It can assign IP Addresses through DHCP, just like any other device or server that offers DHCP.

Is there a field somewhere that I can utilize to make sure the IP Office only assigns extensions that begin with 6?

Yes

Just to try to assist in some way, you do assign extensions through (of all places!) the Extension menu. If you want 4-digit extensions that begin with 6, build them that way. Then assign that extension to a user.

Any more help than that, and you're asking guys who do this for a living to walk you through something we get paid to do every day.

Sorry for so many questions I have a learning disability and I'm trying to understand this system but I have not worked on this before.
Just looking for help.

Does your boss want to work with ipoffices ?
If the answer is yes then he should send you on a course!

IF the IP Office is set to auto create Extn's then it will do that (system - LAN 1 - VoIP) it can also auto create the users for you if you like another checkmark in the same tab.
I usually let it create the extensions (8000 range) and won't let it create the Users because I want the users to be what I make them.
Note Users are the profiles that people are using to make calls and have buttons and features available, Extensions are the physical ports (even IP) to the phone system and they do not need to match.
Go to that tab in the manager and hit help it is nicely explained much better than I can do it.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

that will teach you to go away Tom :p

Joe W.

FHandw., ACSS

insanity is just a state of mind

HSM has slammed me before too, but hes incredibly helpful also. But when you dont know what DHCP does, and claiming to be a Cisco/Nortell guy...something isnt right. Your IP phones IP address has NOTHING to do with your Extension number......so yeah, dont know what else to tell ya.

VLAN off the VOIP traffic, youll have a better time working with it. Use auto create ext to choose the range of extensions you want.

Then read through the IP office set up information. Theres a lot out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back