Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extension ringer on IP phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

nytalkin

Vendor
Oct 19, 2007
US
I've got a customer insisting on an extension ringer from an IP phone. There is no copper available only POE ports. Anyone have a solution? I've GOOGLED evrything I can think of without success.

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!

There are IP to analog converters that can run off a SIP license. Typically these are used for Faxes but in your case would setup the analog and IP phone so that the extension ringer can be connected to the analog station.

Hopefully you have a 3300 MCD 4.0 and can utilize the personal ring groups.

Also, with a 3300 MCD 4.0 and Remote hotdesking + Personal ring group (Dynamic Extension) you could get the controller to dial a DID out and back into your system that was cannected to the ringer. Not pretty but...

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

P.S.

You once offered to write a FAQ on connecting QSIG trunking to a Nortel. How's that coming along?

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

I have ran into this on several occasions. You need audio and you have it right in the phone. My solution has been to crack open the phone and strip out a small section on the wires leading to the internal speaker....get a butt set...ring the phone....you will hear the ring. Solder pair 1 of a cat 5 to the section....run pair 1 to the audio of a either a Valcom/Viking speaker or you can use an old IP phone to do the soldering on and turn on multicall. I have ran the audio to a toggle switch...then to the speaker..You have a simple nite ringer. May think I'm crazy but it works like a champ. Try it on an old 5020 or some old multikey IP set first if you are worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back