Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extension Inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefletcher85

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2016
US
I have a MICS system with 7.1 software. I dont have too much experience with phone systems but because I'm IT they gave me the role of figuring this system out. The person that set the system up is long gone. They have added quite a few new people and I have been given the task to try and see what extensions are available and what ones are in use by others. Some of the ext's have names on them many do not. Of the ones that have names assigned to them many are names of people no long here. Aside from calling all the extensions one by one, is there an easy way to tell if there is a phone connected to each port? Further, is there a way to tell if the phone has been used in the last month or so? All of our phones are the same model (T7316E) and I do have a FastRAD sitting around some place. We dont event have an address book I can reference, but Im hoping that after I can get this system figured out I can use it to make an address book.

I suggest you call a vendor to get some "admin" training for a few hours, install the RAD and NRU software etc or you can read the manuals which will take much longer.
You will need to learn how to enter and navigate programming, one you have done that then you can look into maintenance headings to get some of what you want or use the NRU to acquire a workbook sheet from the KSU which is a whole new ball game also.

As for an address book, no idea what you are talking about, sorry.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I doubt there was a vendor that installed this system. I found kinda what I was looking for in the NRU software. As for the address book, I was just talking about making one in something like excel, and hoping as people move/leave the sheet gets updated at the same time the phone system does.

Been there, in you shoes , myself ! Best is to do get the manual and start figure thing out, if you can not find a local vendor (?) . Just to be careful and take note BEFORE making any change !!! . Norstar is fun to learn . Rad and NRU are nice but you can also program the N* from the handset and hopefully you have the full access password . A good set of tone & probe kit such as Fluke/Progressive is quite handy if you want to deal with port/ jack etc. N* only use one pair for tone and it does not damage your port /hardware if you tone on an active pair . There is noway for you to tell if the port/jack has been in use recently unless your system has some kind of call detail recording .

I doubt there was a vendor that installed this system"
I am curious why you doubt a vendor installed it.

The Workbook does have a lot of info and large in size but for just keeping track of coming and going I would start a new sheet and include some of these:

DN/Ext# | Port# | Name | DDI/DID | Jack# | Room# | Notes

Note that a floor plan helps too.
At the set you can do Feature * 0 Intercom to get the DN as well press View to see the port.

Since you are familiar with NRU have you tried acquiring programming to the workbook yet?
That is what those workbooks are for so that NRU can write data to them.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back