Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending T1 line from Demarc to 2 floor 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaklilu

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2003
US
Phone company have installed a T1 line and i need to extend it to my computer room. From the teleco i have two pair of wires. One pair for Tran. and the second one for Rec. Which is pin 1, 2, 4, 5. Can i use stright through cat 5 cable to extend it to my room? What do you guys think?.

You really don't even need cat5 to extend it. But if you have some go ahead and use it. If not and you have some cat3 that will also work just fine.

if i'm understanding you correctly, you can extend it with a "straight through" cable but i don't think you'll be able to patch it through to a router as so. "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Cat5 seems to do pretty well for extending the dmark like this, i've done several hundred feet without a noticable problem. Although, the more correct way would be to use DS1 type cable, two pair individually shielded. You should be able to plug a straight Cat5 cable into the jack provided by the telco, and plug the other end into the CSU/DSU and be ready to fly.

Good Luck!
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

true daron but the way the post sounded to me was the t-1 is punched down to leave said pairs. "two pairs of wires" "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Straight through is fine but use individually sheilded pairs (or pairs 25+ pair apart on 100+ riser feeds) to keep TX and RX from interfering with each other.

-CL

Thank you guys. That was ver helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back