Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending Home network 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavona

Technical User
Aug 27, 2002
GB
I have a Linksys WAG354G Gateway It has an ADSL connection plus 4 wired ports and wireless. It is located in my study. That is upstairs but with a solid concrete floor and some substantial walls between it and my lounge. Consequentially I sometimes lose my wireless connection, and it can be quite slow.

I have wired connections to 2 PCs, printer/scanner and soon a NAS drive. I have a good quality phone line to my lounge so that the gateway could be located there instead of the stuy - except I would need 4 long Cat5 cables to run between the two rooms.

So I was thinking of buying another router/switch/gateway, connecting it to my Linksys with a single Cat 5 cable. I could either have two wireless signals - one from each router (no idea if that is possible to configure) or as I probably don't really need a wireless signal in my study I could buy a wired only device sand place the linksys in my lounge.

My questions:
a)does this sound sensible?
b)Do I need a router or a switch, or is a router the only option that would enable me to share my single ADSL internet connection.?
c)If there is little cost difference and it is easy enough to configure then I would choose 2 wireless routers so that I had a strong wireless signal anywhere in my house or garden. Advice?
c)Are there advantages to sticking to Linksys?
d)Any recommended products (preferably with UK stockists)

Gavin

I just set up a pair of AirLink power line units ($49.95 USD). I haven't had time to really get into them yet, but so far they seem OK (all I've done is internet). Part of the set-up procedure is to register the MAC addresses of each unit, so they should be secure. I've used X10 modules for years, and one of the problems with them is power line branches. U.S. power is basically 240 VAC, split into 2 120 VAC circuits. Sometimes there is no connectivity between the two circuits. They do make a "bridge" that installs into the main breaker box to cure this. So, I don't think there would a security problem in an apartment setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back