Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending existing Cat5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezoliver

Technical User
Mar 8, 2005
I have a customer that wants to move the server room to a new location, all cat5 cables need to be extended to reach to the new data closet. What are the options for extending cat5 cables? I could terminate all ends and use barrel connectors, but this option is time consuming and expensive. Will a 66 block work with cat5 OK? Just brainstorming here, I guess the right way to do it is run a bulk cable from patch panel to patch panel for the extesion. Hit me with some ideas...

Eric

Eric Oliver
Telecom Network Technologies Inc.

Will the original server room still be a secure site? If so you could leave the switches there and connect the servers with fiber.

No, the original server room and data closet are going to be remodeled to be an office. I wish it were that easy...

Eric Oliver

How many circuits are we talking about and where do you plan on securing the splice, if that is what you plan.

I would like to re-run but it is not an option. I am sure the customer would not want to spend the money for re-run either. It is in a steel building that has been built out with steel stud and drywall. They also drywalled the ceiling and contoured it to the roof insulation. All existing cable was put in before drywall was done. Virtually no gap in the ceiling and al the cables that I have tried to pull are VERY tight, I have not got any to budge in either direction. I have about 60 runs of cat5 that need extended.

Eric Oliver

Do you have any space to work with? I'm thinking something wall mounted to secure the existing patch panel, as well as a second patch panel - patch everything one to one, and you've extended your runs. Now, this isn't the cleanest thing, but there are much worse options.

You'll get slammed for anything other than recabling the entire office.

However, use a 110 block. Run 60 new Cat-5's to the new location, and terminate on a patch panel there. At the old location, land them on the 110 block. Put on the C-4's and terminate the old cables.

Its about the best solution for this particular case.

And NO, it doesn't comply with any specs.

Make sure you get in writing that the customer knows this does not meet specs and you don't guarantee this to work.

How long is the longest existing run?

How far to the new server location?

The longest existing run is around 120' I will be extending the runs an additional 30' So length should pose no problems. I will test all of the runs and will make sure they work. I will check all with a micromapper first and any that give me trouble I will use the Framescope on them. I would like to recable the office, but like I said before, nearly impossible and the customer would not want to pay for that. They bought the building as "network ready". If they would have had me look at it before they bought it I would have said no way it's "network ready" Oh well, I will make it work. I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas besides what I was thinking.

Eric Oliver

Install a wall or ceiling mounted enclosure with switch and fiber feed as franklin97355 suggested.

I go along with fiber and switchs

a locking enclosure on the wall , my wife tought at the local community college and in her last classroom, on the wall was a locked cabinet . no big deal .

or have carpenter /handyman make something decrotive to cover .

one customer of mine has a large paiting that covers the norstar switch and backboard . it was nicely done and you wouldnt really evan know it was there .

I would either do that or walk , if you extned and if they have software problems the software guy will blame it on the non standard cable and you will look bad no matter what you say or do now or what they sign

been there ..never again I either do it right or let somebody else do it

Krone Highway modules are Cat5e rated and work well as a consolidation point for this purpose

For me it would depend on what sort of office the old server room was being turned into. If the office is going to be a general secretarial type area where you can always have access then leaving the switches in place in a cabinet is the lowest cost solution.

However if the old server room is going to be an executive office where you have limited access and your presence there will create distraction then by all means relocate. The way I would do it is the same as TouchToneTommy proposed above, using 110 blocks to make a permanent extension of the existing cables.

Other factors to consider are the likelihood of Moves, Adds and Changes. MAC work is made more difficult if the target panel is in an area where other people are working. If you leave the switch in someones office will you be able to run new cables there in the future without causing a big disruption? Are you effective troubleshooting with people looking over your shoulder?

If done properly adding the 110 blocks will have little effect on your network wiring. I would suggest a full certification scanner test of the wiring before and after the addition of the 110 blocks. Be sure everything passes before starting the 110 work and leave a copy of the tests in the server room when you finish.

The 110 blocks should remain accessable and their location should be noted near the new patch panel.

Get a contract signed to extend the cable runs to the new location, with a contingency that if they do not perform, the price will go up to an amount that covers doing new home runs for each failing run. Also, that any extended run that fails in the future will require the customer to pay for a new cable run.
If they want to take the risk, and assume the responsibilty, that is their option, but their only remedy should it fail is to purchase a new cable run.
Anything less would be unproffessional, and moraly questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back