Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending Data port trust through IP phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2001
US
The scenario:
We have an increasing number of folks deploying video clients to their workstations. Most of these work stations are connected to an IP phone. Unfortunately the phone by default remarks all traffic coming from the workstations down to COS 0. This is no longer desirable. I know i can set a PHY2PRIO value but this is not really desirable either.

My question:
Is there away to instruct the phone to just trust the L2 or L3 marking coming from the attached work station?

Usually, the packets from the workstations are 802.1Q VLAN untagged, so won't be tagged at L2 (CoS). If you use the default VLAN, you'll need to set VLANSEP=1 and PHY2VLAN=0 (or whatever). Wireshark will be your friend here - so you can see what packets are tagged with.

Depending on your switch, you could be able to develop a policymap based on vlan memberships - i.e. different VLANs have different policies.

I think a bit more information may be needed here.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

So a bit more information.

CM Release String:S8720-014-00.1.731.2
Phone: Avaya 9620 running 3.1
Ethernet switch: Cisco 3750 running IP Base Version 12.2(53)SE1
Switch port configuration:
description 1B-68
switchport access vlan 76
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 204
srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20
queue-set 2
priority-queue out
mls qos trust dscp
auto qos voip trust
no cdp enable
spanning-tree portfast
DHCP settings:
ip dhcp pool CHV0-B99_BC05-VoIP
network 10.63.204.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 10.63.204.1
option 242 ascii MCIPADD=10.63.100.16,MCPORT=1719,HTTPSRVR=10.63.100.75
(we are running LLDP so therefore no l2qvlan and phy2vlan values)
Video Conferencing Client: Tandberg Movi Version 4.0.1

The specific issue we are encountering is this:
When the work station connected to the above phone fires up their Movi client to participate in a video conference, wireshark reveals that all traffic coming the workstation IP address is marked down to DSCP 0. Packets from the IP of the phone are correctly marked. When we connect the workstation directly to the switch port we see packets correctly marked. Video is marked correctly marked up to dscp 34 the audio stream is marked 46 signaling is marked 24 and other non video related traffic stays marked 0.
Our desire is to find a way to maintain the markings we are seeing when directly connected to the switchport when infact we are connected through the back of the phone.
I suppose we would set up a policy map that would look for specifically video related traffic from the workstation IP and re-mark, but i was hoping to simply tell the phone to trust and extend the markings it is receiving from the connected workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back