Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extending an SP1 environment with new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

trifo

MIS
May 9, 2002
HU
Hi!

We are planning to extend our SP system (running AIX 4.3.3 and PSSP 3.2 on SPswitch1) with a new external node which will be a p630 server.

I found that I can only put SPswitch2 adapter in the new node and I have to install AIX 5.1 and PSSP 3.5 on it.

My question is if I will be able to integrate this node into my existing SP system? And in case I can, what else will I have to do? I mean upgrading CWS to the highest software level present in the SP for example.

Thanks in advance,

--Trifo

You can add a p630 to your existing SP nodes and PSSP 3.5 allows older SP nodes and the SP Switch to be added to a 1600 Cluster.

4.3.3 is out of support 12/31 so you may as well migrate to 5.1 and PSSP 3.5 for all nodes.

Well, your reply implies some more questions in me:

Our goal is to attach the p630 to the SPswitch. But in the owners guide IBM states that only SPswitch2 adapter can be put into the p630. So, can the SPswitch2 adapter work with SPswitch1?
Also, can a box running AIX 5.1 be a node of an SP system with nodes running AIX 4.3.3? - for some reasons we _must_ use AIX 4.3.3 :(

May I install PSSP 3.5 on AIX 4.3.3?

Do I have to upgrade CWS to AIX 5.1?

--Trifo

Your CWS has to be at or above what your nodes are installed.

If I am reading your question correctly, you can mix 4.3.3 and 5.1 nodes in a frame.

I did look up and the interconnect is only for an SP Switch2. Though PSSP 3.5 supports the SP Switch.

The p630 supports PSSP 3.4 and 3.5 with AIX 5.1 and PSSP 3.5 with AIX 5.2.

PSSP 3.4 allows you to have a clustered enterprise server system using the SP Switch2 or SP Switch. I would think the p630 would be included in this architecture.

Thanks. Thus we can say the followings:
* the SPswitch2 adatper in the p630 can be attached to an SPswitch (type 1!)

* the SP system does not need all the nodes to run the same version of AIX (CWS has to be as the latest node)

* we can run on multiple versions of PSSP mixed in the SP system (most nodes: 3.2, p630 and CWS: 3.4)

--Trifo

I read this link under SP Switch2 restrictions:

It states that the SP Switch and SP Switch2 cannot coexist in the same SP system. The SP Switch2 also cannot connect to an SP Switch Router.

Hope that clarifies things, but your other points are correct (vary versions in a mix, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back