Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extending a WAP54G with a WAP54G 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

schase

Technical User
Sep 7, 2001
US
Howdy Folks.

This happened to me in two separate locations when repeating a WAP54G with another WAP54G.

I've set the same ssid, same WEP key, and can get it to repeat just fine. However in both occassions if the channel is set the same it disrupts the entire network.

Is this normal? Do the two have to be on different channels but same ssis & wep?

Many thanks.

Stuart

Yes, they'll need to be on the same channel, otherwise the repeater won't hear the main AP, and vice versa.

Describe what you mean by "... disrupts the entire network."

ROGER - G0AOZ.

as in it creates it's own little DOS attack going on. None inside the LAN can ping the gateway or external. But unplug one of the devices and everything comes right back up.

Where it has happened at 2 separate locations, I'm lessening the possibility of each location having one bad router.

However there was one identical item between the two locations, both have one WAP v3 and one WAP v2. At one location I've upgraded the firmware on both anyway (even though one was at 3.4) and trying it again. It seems stable enough, but one drops the signal a little too often for my taste. Going to be trying a different cable to see if that smooths it or not.

Stuart

I remember there was a problem with those WAP54G's when trying to use them in repeater mode, and a firmware upgrade appeared to solve it. However, that was some way back...

Are there any other WiFi networks in the vicinity which could be causing a problem? Same channel, next channel, etc.

As regards signal drop, can you be sure the signal received by the repeater is reasonably strong? If the repeater is having to deal with a weak signal, it sure won't be able to handle traffic it's trying to on-pass.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

hmm

Thanks for the tip on channels, I changed channels to 11 as I spotted a couple others on 6.

But I think I have more problems, the one here will stay up for a minute or two then drops and stays dropped. Although I can reach it via lan, it just ceases to transmit I guess.

Stuart

Try changing to one of the lower channels, 1 or 2 perhaps, assuming they're clear.

You didn't say if you've had a chance to check out the level of signal available at the repeater from the main AP. If it's fairly weak, then occasional electrical interference could raise the noise level above the received signal, and then you'll get a drop out.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

thanks for the replies, Roadrunner decided I didn't need to be online over the weekend at home. And i've been battling with it all day today.

Took my older one (the v2 one) and tested it inplace of the new one. It doesn't cease transmitting like the new one does - but it does drop a ping every now and then, which isn't totally unnormal.

So I'm going to get main base going first, then tackle the darn extend bit.

Stuart

I think it use to be that you should use ever other channel, to keep interference down.

well after getting frustrated with support on the phone I turned to the live chat. And now RMA'n my unit back.

Thanks for the info though folks.

Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back