Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extending a MICS between 2 buildings?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

notme11

Technical User
Dec 15, 2004
US
good morning all! got a question that someone out here might have gone thru before.
I have a MICS 7.1 with a call pilot 150, I have 2 buildings to tie together.. the problem???
the distance between the 2 is 725ft, there is no undergroung conduits and we cannot trench to install one. aerial cable might work but the utility poles go down the street not on the property.
my sugestion is to get an MCK6000 to extend the extension but that requires getting a PTP T1 at additional monthly costs. I have never dealt with a city or utility cmpany to use their poles and run a separate line, my guess is not an easy thing to do.
running underground would work but this is a Cematery so no digging allowed.
any sugestions would be apreciated.....

I just completed a project where I tied 3 buildings together with wireless. Do you have line of site between the buildings? If so, I would recommend a robust [like motorola canopy] wireless link and use a product like a RAD IP-MUX11 which will give you a T1 Port. you will need the T1 cards with PRI enabler keycodes and the MCDN Keycodes will give you add features as well (not sure if it even works without the MCDN Keycodes).

read my recent post "Properly Network MIC's with Point to Point PRI

the wireless idea would work and if you use the mck you won't need the pri or mcdn

if you can get a fiber line to the other building you could use a module extender and put a 0X16 unit in the building

depends on how many sets you need

All Things Are Possible With Time And Lots And Lots of Money

mike

You can use an MCK using the IP mode for transport. I am guessing you will have DATA into this new location? If so, use the MCK and ride the data.

--DB

See if the LEC can give you 2 dry pair between the buildings. Then you can push a t1 between the 2. How are they getting data over there? That may be another route.

Signature===========================================

Aastra Authorized Reseller

I've found LECs are resistant, or even unwilling to provide dry contact pairs these days. We still have one customer with an OPX, but the telco has been threatening to discontinue that every time their contract comes up for renewal.

I guess the LECs are assuming woip is a better solution, too.

the new building is an office, they are going to have data in both offices...the T1 will be to expensive for this guys the recourring monthly charge is what tehy want to avoid.
my guess is that we are going to try and get permission from teh LEC to run a separete 25 pr and pey them teh lowest monthly fee to use their poles.....

Agreed. Unless they're a really big name in the area, chances are slim they'll get all the right of ways they'll need.

I'm not recommending that you do this, but we had a customer who had a building across the street, and needed to tie them with fiber. We came in on a Sunday morning with extension ladders and fig 8 fiber. Sometimes it's easier to apologize after the fact than to ask permission.

Ironically, the city hall is now one of our customers, and I'm sure getting a permit now would be child's play.

Just keep the fiber above the LEC's run.

if you are still thinking of the MCK-6000 solution something like this would work
the output of the mck6000 is an ethernet connection to the other end. We did one via a T1 that used both voice and data. the above wireless would give you a wide network that could get you talking

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Unfortunately they can't have their cake and eat it too. Either solution is going to have it's drawbacks and will also cost them money. If they can't afford to do this correctly then I would suggest you walk away because they will be a thorn in your side every time something does not work as they think it should or as they change their mind on how it should.

Signature===========================================

Aastra Authorized Reseller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back