Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extend video to an external display from multiple machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgursahaney

Programmer
Jun 11, 2001
US
Does anybody know what video products are available that will allow me to extend my desktop to an external monitor (say, an HDTV) from any one of 8 workstations?

I am intrigued by that setup that they have on that TV show "NCIS" when Gibbs says "Put it on the flat panel, McGee!" and, with a single keystroke, the display on McGee's computer video screen appears on the big flat screen monitor. I want that!

If the TV show were reality, I would assume that the external video output from every workstation would be connected to some sort of MUX that is triggered via IP to be display the video on the big screen. In my lab, we have eight independent XP workstations each configured with two monitors, and we have a large 1080p HDTV hanging from the ceiling. I'd like the ability to put whatever one of the workstations is displaying on to the HDTV with a single keystroke (or a couple keystrokes, if necessary).

Does anybody know how that can be done?

Thanks for the advice.

Do any of the switches have the ability to be triggered via IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back