Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extend Legend PBX to 2nd floor from 9th floor? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2003
US
Existing Merlin Legend on 9th floor. They have leased extra space on 2nd floor and need to have 15-20 extensions on 2nd floor. Cable distance would probably be about 250 feet.

This is probably doable for voice cabling, but I'm not sure if we would be allowed to run individual extension lines down 7 floors since the space available to drop cables of all types between floors is limited and shared between tenants.

I'm just dropping a fiber down to another ethernet switch to extend the data network and I'm wondering if there's a way to something similar with the PBX. (should replace with VOIP equipment and not worry about it, but I doubt they'll spring for that ;)

Any ideas? Thanks!

So what's wrong with dropping a 50 pair cable along with the fiber, and using that to ship stations downstairs to a cross connect in the 2nd floor suite?

Thanks. Nothing wrong with that. Just looking for info on how it is typically done since I don't do this (work with PBXs) on a regular basis. I figured it is something that is done every day so I'd ask those in the field.

Cheers!

I'm sure you are on top of this, but make sure the cable you use meets the codes of the city you are in.

A lot of places are getting real picky with us low voltage guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back