Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ext SCSI HD Won't Mount...

Status
Not open for further replies.

torner

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2000
US
I have a Seagate ST39140N 9GB SCSI HD in an external case. Unit will not mount. Silverlining SEES the drive and will mount it. SLining will not, however, actually place the drive on the Desktop. SLining says the driver is damaged and that I should run 'setup' to place a new driver on the drive. Unfortunately, SLining's 'setup' button isn't available. The drive shows up as being 'parked.' I have also tried Norton Utilities, Hard Drive Toolkit and DiskWarrior. None of those products sees the drive at all. In ALL cases, the computer is a Power Mac 5500 with 9.1. I have an old (version 2) copy of TechTool Pro but my previous technician must have lost the disk.

Needless to say, the end user's entire academic year is on this external drive and they have NO back-up. Any assistance is appreciated!!!

Thanks!

There's a facility called SCSI probe which should be able to mount the disc - does it use Lacie drivers or Apple drivers? Have you checked with either of these?

Thanks for the tip! I completely forgot about SCSI Probe (v5.2). While SCSI Probe DID see the drive, it would not mount it. The error is: "SCSI error: -7932 (2) Sense 4 (1) Failed: logical units not supported" I'm ready to chalk this drive up as a lost cause. The end user has already been told to reconstruct her data. Any other suggestions are appreciated, though! Thanks again!

I'm told there are firms who can recover data from hard drives - but have no names etc. There should be some in the Mac magazines (I don't buy any at the moment).

yes, i know one of those data recovery firms myself, its called ontrack.com, not too bad they charge $100 to examine and they say anywhere between $400 and $1100 to recover data....

I have EXACTLY the same problem. Any solutions yet?
It happened after I installed OSX 10.2 on my G3 beige tower.

get on to LaCie and see if they've got any bright ideas. All I did was press the damn button

Have you tried Disk Frist Aid, plue have the Drive had there firmware updated?

Should be on the OS cd's. If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

I said I have the same problem, i.e., I did it with SCSI probe
with the same message and Disk 1st Aid etc doesn't
see it.

I see no point in posting pointless advice.

To everyone who replied...THANK YOU!

I have given up on the drive. Using ALL of the tools suggested here, and a few more, the drive just would not mount. It was recognized by many of the applications...just wouldn't mount to get the info. The data was not important enough to warrant paying for recovery.

Again, many thanks to everyone for contributing! It shows the Tek-Tips forums work!

Hi to all,

Just in case torner still has the drive...

The only thing that DOES cross my mind in this case is that I've met a similar situation with an old 520 Mb... the "mounters" saw it, but it never came up to my desktop, to the point of freezing my machine.

What DID solve my problem, as strange as it may seem, was to deactivate my antivirus. It was trying to scan the whole thing before giving me access to it... so I've never seen the icon of this hard drive on my machine until I decided to give it a "naked" boot, and noticing that it worked, took everything off from the extensions and gradually added back to finally realize that it was my protection scanning to make sure it didn't contain any viruses.

Hope This helps... just in case.

MerlinRegis

Did any of you try to check the scsi ID to see if there is a conflict that prevent the machine not mouthing. Check if the right ID is selected for the same hard-drive.

Hope this idea helps

Sammy011

If you're still working on this problem...

I have the EXACT same issue, down the line as you describe it. While I haven't found a proper solution, believe it or not, I have found that TEMPERATURE seems to play a part in the ext hd's refusal to mount. When I leave my external drive powered up for a long time, THEN boot my system, the drive will mount. During a summer heat wave, the warm up time required was around 15 minutes. Now that winter is approaching, the room is colder, and warm up time has stretched to roughly two hours. Ridiculous, I know, but give it a try.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back