Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exposing the CR Designer to end users

Status
Not open for further replies.

cehowski

Technical User
Dec 1, 2006
US
I know I'm supposed to be able to make the Report Designer available to end-users of a custom application, but I haven't found instructions yet, on exactly how that is done. I don't see a component or control in the toolbox, that would seem to do the trick. There were a couple of additional options that could be added to the toolbox, but I wasn't sure that any of them were the answer either.

Can someone point me to instructions on how to do that? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

john

Hi,
You know this how:
I know I'm supposed to be able to make the Report Designer available to end-users of a custom application,

AFAIK, design capability is not deployable in custom apps without specific licensing...

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

It's not much help but, IIRC, the RDC web components do/did some of this. Although they are available with XI, they have been deprecated and will not be available in the future.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

I should contact Crystal - I have Developer (Ver 11) and the first heading at the Link above "Interface SDKs" indicates that report creation should be accessible to end users. The book "Crystal Reports 11 - The Complete Reference" (well almost complete) also states it - though they don't go into any detail (I'll look again) regarding doing it. It does mention licensing, but states that it is only necessary that each "organization" that an app is used by, must purchase a copy of Developer (or Server). My apps would be completely within our organization, nothing commercial, so that should not be an issue.

If I find out what the deal is I'll post back. If anyone else has any previous experience, or knows anyone that has, let us know.

Thanks,
John

Why not just install crystal reports on their machine(s)? Why put it in an application?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word"
--Dave Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back