Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting to text file

Status
Not open for further replies.

TH22

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2005
US
Hello,
I wrote a query that I have a macro setup to run and export the results to a text file. When I run the query, the results are correct when shown in the results (select query) view in Access, but when I extract it to a text file, it doesnt extract it as needed. The problem is related to the field being numeric I think.

The query I am running is:
" " AS FILLA1,
"TR0" AS BATCH1,
[Extract Date].DAY AS BATCH2,
" " AS FILLB1,
SELECT FORMAT(count(*),"0000000") FROM [Lead Data] WHERE [Extract Date].DAY = [Lead Data].CALL_DAY) AS REC_CNT,
" " AS FILLC1,
SELECT FORMAT(sum(right([Lead Data.Phone],4)),"000000000000000") FROM [Lead Data] WHERE [Extract Date].DAY = [Lead Data].CALL_DAY) AS HASH,
" " AS FILLD864
FROM [Extract Date];

The problem is related to the two embedded select statements within the query.
The first is counting the number of records in the table and returning a number (example: 10) and then adding zero padding to the left (Example: 000010).
The second is counting the last four bytes of a phone number for all the records in the table, and then adding zero padding to the left (Example: 000000000002315).

When looking at this in Access, I see
REC_CNT = 000010
Hash = 000000000002315

... these are both correct.

The problem is when I extract them to a text file.
The field '000010' is extracting into the file as '10 '
The field '000000000002315' is extrating into the file as '23.15 '

WOuld anyone have a recommendation for how I can extract it with the zero padding included and the decimal points removed.

Thanks!

What about this ?
SELECT "T9" AS RECTYPE,
"92" AS AGENCYD,
"01" AS LOC,
" " AS FILLA1,
"TR0" AS BATCH1,
E.DAY AS BATCH2,
" " AS FILLB1,
FORMAT(Count(*),"0000000") AS REC_CNT,
" " AS FILLC1,
FORMAT(Sum(Right(L.Phone,4)),"000000000000000") AS HASH,
" " AS FILLD864
FROM [Extract Date] AS E INNER JOIN [Lead Data] AS L ON E.DAY = L.CALL_DAY
GROUP BY E.DAY

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Hi PHV.
Thanks for the response. I tried the query, but the result was the same. It looks ok when looking at it in access, but when exported to a text file, it still has the same problem.

Hello again, I have tried this from a different angle. My new question seems to be a problem with the export spec.

It seems like the export spec I have is expecting a numeric value, but there is no where to set this in the export specs, so Im not sure why this is happening. I have explained below.

Instead of trying to claculate the number in the query, I have decided to just hard code the number into the query.

If I hard code the value as all zeroes, I am still having the problem where when it is exported, it adds a decimal point in there. (Which Im still not sure why it is doing that, because I have done this elsewhere and havent had the problem).

If I hard code the value as all spaces or 'x's, I get an error message when exporting saying the following (I have condensed it a bit)
---
When exporting to text file, recieve the error'MS Office Access was unable to append all the data to the table'.
It says the problem is related to a key violation where either:
imported data doesnt match the field data type or filed size property in the destination table
-or-
ref integrity rules for a relationship defined between two tables are violated.
---

When I refer to 'hard code' Im saying Im putting this in the select statement:
"0000000000000000" AS HASH
or
" " AS HASH
or
"XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" AS HASH

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

How do you export ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Hi PHV,
I was exporting by right clicking on the query and selecting export (and I also setup the process as a macro). I then used a export specification to export it into the required positions within a fixed length file.

I have been working with this and I just got it to work.
I recreated the export specs 5 times, somehow on the fifth version, it decided to work correctly. I didnt do anything different and the export layout spec is the same, but for somereason on the fifth one it decided to work. When I have time, I will go back and try and figure out why it didnt work (for curiosity sake). But for now it is working.

Thanks for the help. It is appreciated.

At least you've learned that you didn't need the 2 subqueries ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back