Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting to PDF *

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbermudez

Technical User
Oct 22, 2003
US

We are in the process of updgrading from v8.5 to v9.

In v8.5, when users export to PDF, Crystal Opens a Web-based PDF viewer from which the user can email the

document they are viewing (by selecting 'Send Page' from the Email option on the browser.

In v9, Crystal Exports the report to the application 'Acrobat Reader 5.0' and not to the Web-based version.

Is there a way to instruct Crystal v9 to export to PDF in the same way it exports in v8.5 - to a Web-based

viewer instead of the actual Acrobat Reader application?

Is this Crystal Reports or Crystal Enterprise that you are using for report production?

Which version - Standard, Professional, Advanced, Developer, Premium?

We are using Crystal Enterprise. User log into e-portfolio to run reports which they then extract to excel or PDF. The plug in External Window Handler for Acrobat is installed - this allows users to view PDF files in their web browsers. This is enabled in v8.5 but apparently it is not enabled for v9.

thanks!

I've tested it in my CE 8.5 and 9.0 environments - and you are right - in 9.0 if you EXPORT the report it opens in Acrobat Reader from both the DHTML and ActiveX viewers, whereas in 8.5 it opens in Explorer with the Acrobat plug-in.

However, if you SCHEDULE the report to the PDF format, then open it from history it opens in Explorer with the Acrobat plug-in. I don't know if that is an option for your users.

Otherwise, my guess is that you will have to modify the ePortolio code for the PDF export routine.

SynapseVampire might have some advice about the best way to do that....

Thanks for validating my question MJRBIM, unfortunalty our users are 'unwilling' to 'deal' with the scheduler - my guess is that v8.5 spoiled them. In any case, thanks for the feedback.

now if i can only get a hold of SynapseVampire...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back