Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting to fixed position text

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtrek

Programmer
Aug 6, 2002
US
I need to export data to a fixed position text file. IE, name from colums 1 to 20, address from columns 21-40 etc. Is there any tricks to positioning your fields in the report layout that would do that or is it just trial and error?

Any other ideas are welcome also.

Thanks!

Export them as rtf. then it will save exact format.

ndp

I've got a disk output UFL that can write a disk file while it is processing a report. So it's not Export as such, just a parallel process to create a file on disk.

I've got a client using it to create a clean EDI file by using CR to remove duplicates, and use the latest prices, and using the UFL to generate a new file with fixed column widths. Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

I posted a similar question and it was suggested that I use RTF. Sorry it didn't work.

I know RTF didn't work for me either. I found that exporting things as text didn't work as CR seemed to try to change some of the formatting. I exported as "separated values" but specifide nothing as the delimiter and separator and that seemed to work great. It kept any formatting I specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back