Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting to Excel - too many rows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardstang

Technical User
Jun 1, 2011
US
Hello all,

I'm using CR 2008 (Version 12).

I have a report (which contains a subreport) that is working exactly as I need it to work except when I export it to Excel.

When exporting, there are multiple blank rows at the top, requiring me to scroll down 200 or more rows before I get to the data.

The subreport is in a group header so that I can pull data from teh subreport into my main report. All the fields are suppressed in the subreport (but the subreport itself is not suppressed)

I am suppressing details in my main report based on a shared count:

Code:
whileprintingrecords;shared numbervar sharedcount;sharedcount <> 1

I have checked every box to suppress blank section or to suppress blank data.

In the preview, everything is at the top. It is only when I export to Excel when the blank rows are displayed.

I do have multiple parameters to display a date range and to display a specific customer. I only have the blank rows if I use the parameters for the date range. Removing those and selecting only the customer, it displays and exports without the unnecessary blank rows.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

If you aren't displaying anything from the subreport then try this.

Suppress all sections in the subreport

from main report, right click subreport -> format subreport -> subreport tab -> suppress blank subreport.

Section Expert -> select section containing subreport -> suppress blank section (make sure only the subreport is in this section)

This should reduce the number of blank rows when exporting the report to excel.

HTH

Gary Parker
MIS Data Analyst
Manchester, England

I have already tried all those suggestions. However, I cannot suppress the blank section as suggested in your last suggestion. The checkbox is grayed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back