Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting to .DOC puts a blank line above + below subreports

Status
Not open for further replies.

anslack

Programmer
Apr 24, 2003
GB
When I export a report (to .doc format) that contains subreport data, the output file has a blank line above and below the subreport data. Obviously this is annoying, as I want the exported output file to match the crystal original as closely as possible.

Is there a way to suppress these blank lines around subreports or is it a bug with the export engine? I have Crystal Reports 8.5.

Exporting is never an exacting science, and I don't think that you'll find a cure for this (I just tested it as well).

There are numerous whitepapers on exporting on the CD site, but in general, make sure that you apply the latest patches, and I suggest using RTF over Word as the overall formatting always seems better (and Word can open them).

-k

I have tried exporting to RTF but it has even more formatting errors than the Word export, especially with formulas embedded within a text box.

I am actually having to:

1. export to .DOC
2. open the file through my application
3. edit and format certain sections via VBA code
4. save the results to RTF

Just to get a correctly formatted RTF file!

Pretty annoying...

Have you applied all of the latest patches (hotfixes)? Crystal releases them monthly, and they often times address export concerns.

-k

Verify what driver you're using to export to Word. Different drivers will export to the same software in different fashions.

Are you using crxf_wordw.dll? (At least I think this is the correct spelling. I don't have access to check at present.) This should result in a "Word (Exact)" export, which tries to remain as true to Crystal's formatting as possible.

If you don't have it, you can download it from Crystal's support site.

Naith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back