Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting Reports 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EFREE

Programmer
Jun 29, 2005
US
The documentation gives no option for this but maybe someone has a creative idea. When I export the report it goes into excel version 10, which can only be read in excel 2002 and 2003. Some people that try and read these exports still have excel 97 or 2000. Is there a way to automate this within the reports manager to save in 97 or 2000?

Also exporting in PDF I have a different issue. When it exports wide reports close to 8 inches wide it splits the report down the middle into two pages, which is useless if you are trying to follow a row across the report. Also once it saves, it is impossible to alter it to landscape view even with acrobat professional.

Any ideas or suggestions???

happy.gif

I am not sure about the Excel question.

For landscape view, however, you go into the Properties window of the report in Report Designer, click on the Layout tab, and set the Page Width and Page Height properties. There is no easy "Portrait/Landscape" option... you have to set the width and height by hand. They are Portait-type settings by default (Width = 8.5in, Height = 11in). In your case you would just reverse the numbers. That should solve all of your PDF problems too.

thanks the PDF suggestion worked.

if anyone else knows about different verisons of excel please let me know

I hate to say it, but I think that was deliberate. MS is trying to get people off of Office 97 and 2000, so why would they want to support those two packages out of the box?

Your only option may be to upgrade, unfortunately.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

FYI. The new RS2005 Books Online has this to say about Excel exporting. I'm not sure if this will help you with the Office 97/2000 or not.

BOL2k5 said:
Excel rendering extension supports Binary Interchange File Format

The Excel rendering extension renders reports in the native file format used by Microsoft Excel, eliminating most of the limitations that were part of the previous version

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"If a person is Microsoft Certified, does that mean that Microsoft pays the bills for the funny white jackets that tie in the back???

Hmmm i think that means is should work since all excel binary files are the same with minor tweaks to them. Reporting services doesn't even need to use any of these bells and whistles tho so i hope so, but i guess the only way would be to try. Do know when RS2005 is supposed to be released?

The last date I heard on a release was November of this year. It's supposed to be coming out with SQL 2005. I don't know that it will be available seperately.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back