Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting R5 address book to CSV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crisc

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2001
US
Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before, but the search tool for this site isn't finding anything.

I need to convert an R5 address book into any format (CSV or otherwise) that Outlook can import. I know there are commercial products to do this, but I'm looking for a no cost option.

Thanks.

Try using File, Export to export your address book. It seems to export best to 1-2-3 worksheet.

Regards,
Tony.

Thanks, I have tried doing this, as well as the other 2 formats R5 lets you choose (structured text, and tabulated text) but when I try importing it into Outlook, only 1 of the fields is recognized, and the rest of the info is discarded. Is there a step I'm missing, or modification that needs to be done?

You may need to direct your query to an outlook expert. Assuming that there are similartities with importing to Outlook as there are to Notes, outlook will need to map the data to fields in it's contacts list (Name, Phone number, address, etc.). For example Notes uses column headings in a spreadsheet and you have to make sure the naming is identical to the fields within the database to which they are to be imported.
I'm sure you have cracked the notes half of your conversion and now just need to manipulate the data slightly to enable a successful import to outlook.

Regards,
Tony.

When you do an export, there are some hidden gotchas:

1. Export to a 1-2-3 file specifying the .wk4 extension, or Excel (which can create CSV files) won't import the data correctly. Also, long fields will be truncated to whatever 1-2-3 defines as the maximum cell text length.

2. The Structured text option will export everything in each field, but you then have to write a parser in VB or VB.net (or other language--Perl, C or C++?) to read the text back in and write it as a CSV file. You may be able to find code out there on the Internet.

3. I've not had much success with the tab separated format.

Hope this helps.

Pat O'Connell
Visualize Whirled Peas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back