Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting Outlook data

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgarnick

Programmer
Feb 16, 2000
US
Visit site
We are replacing three systems with new ones and I will be re-installing Office 97. Is there an easy way to bring forward the Outlook data such as Contacts, Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items, Tasks etc. other than exporting each to a personal folder file and then importing into the new computer?

Thanks!

Yes.

You can export the information you need to save to a file and then import it into the new setup.

you can save the .pst file on each computer and then replace the new one with the old once you set it up.

You can go to Microsoft Outlook website and download a backup add-in to backup the .pst file and then restore it to the new setup. As far as I can tell this simply makes a copy of the .pst file and names it something like outlookbackup.pst.

Bob Crawford

Is 'Contacts' stored in the .PST? Or is it a separate file? I've never really understood how it works.

My .PST is stored server side, these days. But in the past when I used to keep my personal address book & .PST locally, I'd simply stick a copy of the PST on a shared network volume, then copy it back if need be. Pretty much in the way that Bob describes above.

I've never named my personal folder file anything other than outlook.pst, but it doesn't really matter what you do. Copy it off yourself, then copy it back and replace the default mailbox installed by outlook.

Definitely don't go down the route of import/export if you can avoid it, stick to a file copy & TOOLS>Services. And if you are using local .PAB's, don't forget to preserve them too.

It is very confusing at times. Name and Address book from MS Exchange is not the same as Contacts from MS Outlook. Contacts in MS Outlook are stored in the .PST file. Name and Address book from MS Exchange is stored ‘I don’t know where’ because I don’t use it.

I don't suppose you know if 'Contacts' can be exported as a file or reverted back to PAB?

You can use File>Import/Export to export the Contacts to assorted file types including Access, Excel, Delimited text, and I think some others.

You will probably need to export the a text file and then import to a PAB file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back