Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting Logos - CD 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didibaroo

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
GB
Please can someone help me with exporting logos from Corel 7. I have been told to use RGB colours for exporting to the web. I have tried both GIF and JPEG and I seem to get a better picture with the JPEG option.
My logos seem to be a little fuzzy - i.e. the edges are not sharp and clean. If there is text in the logo, it seems a little out of focus.
Thanks

a link to a sample would help. :) However, if you image is all "computer generated", and by that I mean there are no photos in it, GIF or PNG is a better format that JPG. JPGs do not handle continual tone images very well - lots of artifacting, etc... and if your image has lots of white or red? it's not pretty.

It's been a while since I used v7, but a practice I always found better was to, if possible, create you web images from scratch in Photopaint... or at least create the text there. I would export the image from Draw to a Photopaint file and create the text in PP... then export to a web format. You'll have a wider range of bitmap tools working with a bitmap editor instead of through a vector editor.

But again, post a link to an image so people can give you more specific advice on the file in question.

Didibaroo,

If you still want to go with jpeg there are a couple of things you can try to get a better quality image.

- When exporting you will be given an option to 'Anti-alias', this smooths the curved and diagonal edges to blend them into the rest of the image. You can try turning it off but the edges often take on an ugly saw tooth apperience.

- Play with the compression and smoothing options. The lower the compression the better the image quality but keep in mind the file size because it also increases.

Hope that was of some help.

thanks very much - I will try these things out and let you know.

Cheers

I am still having problems with exporting in Corel Draw 7. In Corel - it looks great but exporting it goes a little fuzzy. What are the exact settings I should be using. File, Export, Gif?? Jpg??, dithering??, super-aliasing??, 1 to 1, etc etc.

Thanks and cheers

Hi,

I refer to JavaBearSTL's response in that you can't really do the job properly in draw 7. I also use this to begin my logo what-have-you, but then I export it to Photopaint. You can resample the image, and change the dpi (dots per inch), which gives the image that crispness.

I also had your issue when I designed the logo too small. I usually make the logo big - covering the width of an A4 page in Draw. Lastly when exporting I type in '600' in the dpi boxes.

Keep the dimensions as '1 to 1' or the image will be stretched in some way.

If you have a lot of colour blends in the image then go for 24bit colour. But bear in mind the image wants to be as small as possible in size for swift download in the web, so 8bit colour is better.
Also check to see if you are using websafe colours in your image. The internet has a limited set of web-friendly colours - this can be selected from the 'edit' menu in Draw.
More info on this can be found at the World Wide Web consortium ( I think...).

Hope this helps.

It sounds like your image is too small. Fuzzy text usually result from starting with too small of an image to begin wiht. Aside from repeating to do type setting of the logo in Paint, try scaling your image up before exporting, and see if that helps eliminate some fo your jaggies. If it does, start with an oversixed image, then import that to Piant.

As I recall from v7, there were many steps that had to be done manually in the process before exporting (which are now automated in later versions). The 1st step is to convert the image to palleted - before applying any shading or limited blending. IT is better after converting the image to 8-Bit palleted to insert your text, rather then before, as any shading or color blending of "unpure" colors will result in pixelation of "color safe" colors.

Also, try resampling the image to 96 dpi instead of 72 dpi, this can make a large visual difference and still keep the file size small. But make this your very last step.

Also, when exporting as .gif, use one of the error difusion methods, and select the output color pallette to Adaptive - this usally provides the best results for the smallest sized file. Also, be sure that if you are exporting as .gif, for the first few tries, make sure that 256 colors are selected (if that was an option then - it may have been in later releases - this step may be accomplished in the Convert to 8-Bit palleted step).

To recap:
1. Import the image to Paint with no text from Draw
2. Change the image to 8-Bit Palletted mode - if you need to select the output pallete and you have all of the colors you will need - choose Adaptive. If you have need of more colors either use Ordered if the color of the text is not in your image, or put a few streaks of the color you intend to use in your image, and delete them out later
3. Set your text and finish the image
4. Resample the image to either 96dpi or 72dpi
5. Export as .GIF

Let us know if there is anyhting that doesn't work, or if you have any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back