Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting from Outlook 2002 Public Contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultrav

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
US
I need to export some public contacts to Excel - The public folders do not show up on items to export. I am the owner of the folder. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? It also will not copy the file into my personal folders - it brings over a blank folder with no contacts - so if you know how to copy into my personal folders - that would help me also.

Thanks
Celeste

I'm using OL2K but it may be the same, or similar, under OL2K2.

Under Actions do you not have a "copy to personal contacts" option? Once they're in your personal contacts then you could export them to Excel.

I don't know how many you're talking about and this way you'd have to do them one at a time so it may not be a viable option for you.

Cheers.

I just posted a similar issue with Outlook 2000 ... and then found this post. I have 6,000+ contacts in the public folder and will likely need to export to Excel a few times a month so continuosly copying to a personal folder and exporting is quite unwiedly. Is there a direct way to export to excel? Is this a software or Exchange issue?
Thanks.

Try this. No guarantes but it works for me on a 300+ plus item public contacts folder.

1. Go to the public folder you want to export.

2. Right click on the folder name and left click on "copy 'public folder name'.

3. In the box that appears select your personal contacts folder and click OK.

4. You now have a copy of the public contacts in a sub-folder of your contacts folder. I think this is what the original poster and I were missing the 1st time around and why she couldn't find the contacts after she copied the entire public folder.

5. From this point you can use the File ->Import and Export feature to export the entire folder to a .csv file, or other file of your chossing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Thanks - I've no problem copying to a personal folder and exporting. I was trying to eliminate this step as I will be copying and exporting several times a month at a minimum. Guess there's simply no way to export directly from a public folder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back