Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting from Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rptlady

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
US
I have a file that I have to export from Excel as a .prn file, then change it to a .dat file to upload into our accounting system. The problem is that I bring up the .dat in wordpad to check things and it is truncating my rows and putting the truncated areas at the bottom of the file. Right now, it's not a big deal to manually put them back where they belong because this is a pilot program we are initiating. If it takes off, it could be a real problem because of the manual manipulation.

Any thoughts????

Thanks

Thanks Skip, I'm assuming that you mean in Excel, correct? I'll try this and let you know.

Thanks but that didn't work either. I tried doing a column - autofit, also. It's basically cutting it off at the 255 limit. I tried to go in and reset the column width to above 255 and it gave me a message that the number had to be under 255. I'm using Excel 2000, do you know if this is the same in all versions?

Thanks for the help.

Try viewing the file in Word Pad, you don't have to save it, to avoid seeing any "word" coding getting into the data, but Word Pad allows for viewing of a larger file than Notepad does.

Another option is Note Tab.... there is a "lite" version which is free to use.

NoteTab ROCKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back