Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exporting exchange 5.5 logs to CSV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkwaters

Programmer
Feb 16, 2003
GB
Is there any way that an exchange server log can be exported to a CSV file?

thanks in advance

Are you talking about the tracking logs ? You can open them using Excel (the fields are seperated by a tab character) but they are still a pig to parse and it depends on what you are trying to do.

That gives me some info thanks. However what I am basically trying to achieve is some kind of reporting portal for individual email acccounts, i.e. at the end of each day for every given account I could say therere have been twenty email sent, 5 recieved, 10 emails in the drafts folder etc. I guess what I am trying to achieve is querying of the EDB database.

In an ideal world I would be able to view this in a SQL server format.

thanks in adavance for any further help

The tracking logs are what you are after as they contain details of all messages, NDR's, PF & DirRep messages sent/received (assuming you have message tracking enabled of course). There are a number of third party products available that will provide that sort of report, Exchange itself doesn't, but naturally they cost. Exchange help will give you the format of the tracking logs so if you want to get your hands dirty you can write some code to parse it. I have some stuff written in Delphi which I've been using for a few years and if you promise not to laugh (I program for fun not for a living as anyone who saw my code would agree with!!!) I'd be happy to share (offline).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back