Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting data from Crystal Reports into Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2006
US
Here is my issue: I am generating a report in Crystal and exporting the data into Excel. I have more report fields than will fit on any printer format, so I select "Microsoft Office Image Document Writer" as the printer and "Custom Size" as the size, that way I can manually select the width of the report. When I run the report, the first 20 or so columns in the Excel spreadsheet will be empty and the last empty column's width is wider than the others. After the empty columns the report begins to populate the spreadsheet. Thanks for any light you can shed on this issue.

Forgive me - I'm still pretty new to CR - but I'm interested in why you're exporting the data in the first place. What are you hoping to accomplish in excel that you can't do in CR?

I am exporting to Excel because the data in these reports are going to be calculated and compared to other reports in Excel that are not generated by Crystal

First thing I would try is to switch back to Landscape/Legal width; then I would make sure that all of the report fields are docked to a vertical guideline on at least one edge.

What version of crystal?

Crystal XI does this better than many previous versions.

I would also add to the previous comment by mocgp that the header objects (text labels), detail fields, group and grand totals all be perfectly aligned using vertical guidelines, and that you suppress report headers and footers.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"If you have a big enough dictionary, just about everything is a word"
--Dave Barry

And if you're using Crystal XI, use the Excel - Data Only option for your export.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back