Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting Binary Packed Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJD10

MIS
Apr 26, 2002
US
Hello,
I am exporting a data file from Access and it's going to someone else's system. This is what I've been told:

When the fields are processed on our side and loaded to our database there are 11 positions for the amount and 9 for the count. On the file they would be send in the packed format for the Amount, which would be the 6 positions, and the binary format for the Count, which is 4 positions.

What does this mean? Our data populates up to 10 for the Amount field and 5 positions for Count.

What do we need to do?

Thanks!

It sounds like an old type main frame system like an IBM AS400 (probably using Cobol or RPG for programming).

I can't believe they don't have the ability added to take a more mainstreamed file. It could be they don't have the budget for it.

You have some options, talk them into buying something that supports generic files so they can have data exchange more readily with the outside world. You might also look into finding a utility to convert your text file from Access into the appropriate format. Finally you could research the structure in which data is packed (compressed like a letter means numbers or something) and look into writing a binary file.

I'm sorry I don't know more... I did some data conversions from data dumped from AS400 and talked to the programmer doing the dumping.

I'm not sure I have "AS400" right it might be better expressed like AS/400 or AS 400. It has been 9 years or more since I heard of a packed field. I think they could read an ascii file and convert a regular number to a packed field... It would just take a lot of time on the platform. It's not like they have a text import wizard.

Good luck!

Getting something new or having them move is not an option. This is important, but not THAT important.

I have another utility we could pass it through, but I was hoping we could get around including one more step.

Thanks for your input - I appreciate it.

If your utility takes command line parameters, you could export the file in access and then use the Shell command to call the utility. Note that shell runs Ashynchronously or you call it and then it returns immediate regardless of what the program it called is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back