Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting and Field Titles....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kjonnnn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
US
How do you know which field is which, when you export a table from Filemaker to .TAB? The headings just change to FIELD1, FIELD2, etc.

I don't know what version of FM you are using or where you are bringing the .TAB file in to look at it - but - FM 5 doesn't use any field labels. Since you are saying FIELD1, FIELD2, etc.. I am guessing that it is a database base program like Access or dBase.

The field order you select on the export is the order that the information is shown.

You can create a record that has the field names in it (unless it's a calculated field) and make sure that it's in your exported set.

HTH Im Steven B

Maybe somebody know the answer.

When you import an excel speadsheet into access, you have the option for the first row to be the headers, now when you export from filemaker, why can not the headers also be exported ????

"why can not the headers also be exported "
--because header is used for diffrent reference in FM (not truly part of DB but more of a design)
also, u would want the ability to change the labels into something else than the the filed name...sooooo
Pehaps a script that will grab the field name and store it in a new field...then u can export these fields also.

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Also...if u export the file as .dbf u will get the field names exported (not the labels)

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Filemaker 4 to Access 2000

Sorry, there is no easy way with V4.
Print yourself a list of Field definitions. Export to .TAB.
The .TAB file fields are in the same order as the Field definition list. Open the .TAB in Excel and with a little bit of work you have it. If your file is very complex, you might like to create a record with some 'headings' in the fields. You can't do that with all your fields but can probably do enough to avoid getting them confused.

Cheers,
Paul J.

Can anyone tell me how to migrate data from excel to microsoft access database.

Regards,
Mandira

Yes, but not in this forum....:)

Here we're talking about in and out for Filemaker.

I'm sure you will find your answer in the Excel/Access forum.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back