Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting Access to Excel (with a wrinkle thrown in) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlfpackr

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2003
US
I need to take multiple fields in MS Access and export them to a single cell (column) in MS Excel.

To be more specific. In Access I have the fields OS, CPU, RAM and HARDDRIVE with their appropriate values. I need to export all of those values to a single cell in a column labled Description in Excel. There has to be an automated way to do this rather than Copy & Paste.

Maybe I can take the fields from the original DB and export them into one field in another Access database and then convert them over to Excel??? Of course, I don't know how to do this either.

This is being done in Office 97, but it's a one time report that needs to be done and then pretty much tossed away. I have all the Office versions at my disposal (just please let me know if you're doing Office 2000 or above).

Thanks in advance.

=================
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that do not.

Hello, fellow WolfPacker! (I went to NC State)

Do you want any character (space, comma, semicolon, etc.) separating the different fields?

For what purpose do you need to combine them? What are you going to do with the result?

You could just concatenate the cells once they're in Excel (Example [COLOR=blue white] =A1 & " " & B1 & " " & C1[/color])

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."
[tab]-George Bernard Shaw

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Sweet there ARE others of you out there! Class of '99 here. We'll spare everyone and leave the Herb Sendek and Chuck Amato debates for another thread ;)

Combining the fields will serve no special purpose other than the Accounting Department thinks it will be easier to read for a massive upgrade of the entire company and they started World War III over it. I just want the Description column to list in each cell something like:

Description,
XP, 2000MHz, 512MB, 60GB

Are you saying Import everything into Excel and then use another sheet to do the concatenation as needed?

=================
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that do not.

You don't even have to use another sheet.

Let's say you have 10 fields (that's ten, not the binary for two [wink]). That would be columns A through J. In K2 (assuming you have a header row), you could type in
[COLOR=blue white]=A2&", "&B2&", "&C2 ... &J2[/color]
then drag that formula down as far as needed.

It's not a terribly elegant solution, but it will work for a 'one-off' request.

PS - I see that you are posting from NC. Still in the Triangle area? I'm aware of four Tek-Tippers in the Triangle, not including you.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."
[tab]-George Bernard Shaw

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

No longer in the Triangle unfortunately. I couldn't stand the commute so now work and my home are in the metropolis of Wilson.

I'm gonna give your suggestion a shot tomorrow. I'm worn out for today, no brain power left. Thanks again!

=================

Create a query in Acces that combines the fields you need

Code:
Output: OS & ", " & CPU & ", " & RAM & ", " & HARDDRIVE

Save your query and right click on it, select Export. Change "Save Type As" to Microsoft Excel, Select your destination file and click OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back