Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exporting a comprehensive email address list

Status
Not open for further replies.

onsetcomp

MIS
Jan 17, 2005
US
We now use an outside service to filter our email for spam and viruses. It will work better if I can provide a list of valid email addresses so all others can be deleted before even getting to our internal servers.

Is there any easy way to export all the valid email addresses, including mail enabled public folders and distribution lists from Exchange 2007 SP1?

That is a truly terrible idea. It introduces a dependency on your telling the provider of each and every addition/deletion/change and for them to correctly make the change in a timely manner.

Have the provider do the scanning and filtering like MessageLabs, Postini and other do then tick the box on Exchange to reect messages that aren't for valid SMTP addresses.

That's completely flexible and timely.

That is exactly how we do it now. The problem is that a lot of crap arrives and then sits in a reject queue because those are also fake "from" addresses. I was just thinking keep as much crap off my server as possible.

Then you are actually doing it very slightly wrong.
Run the -enableantispamagents on the HT.
Go to the Org Config
Go to the Anti Spam Tab
Edit the Recipient Filtering object
Tick the tick about rejecting messages for people not listed in the directory.

In Ex2007 SP1 (which I'm running)that tab's option is:

"Block messages not listed in the Global Address List"

My concern is that I have some objects set to "hide from exchange address lists" but they receive mail now. Would they be blocked if they aren't showing in the GAL?

They will not be blocked. The tick will block messages sent to SMTP addresses that do not appear in the Active Directory. It does not do another lookup to see if the address is hidden from the Exchange address books.

Thanks for the info MarkArnold. I made that tweak and so far all my tests from outside have been working fine.

I have one off-topic question for you as you seem to be quite comfortable with Exchange. Is there any way to prevent internal mail from one internal user to another (same domain and server) from going into the individuals junkmail folder?

Thanks

onsetcomp. I have done some reading on this as it was bugging me too, it seems that the junk mail as based on the SCL rating in Content filtering. I believe you can turn junk mail off. Firstly by doing in through Outlook and secondly you must do it through OWA. Strange that the two are not linked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back