Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exporting 8.1.7 tables into 8.1.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

asb555

Programmer
Dec 19, 2000
US
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what I need to do to export tables from 8.1.7 (on HPUX 11.0) to 8.1.6 (on Solaris 7) properly. I have no problems exporting the data from 8.1.7 but I get an error saying that the character set is incompatible (IMP-00069) when I try to import the data into 8.1.6. I tried to uncomment the compatiblity tag in the init.ora and rebooting the Oracle but that didn't help me. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Amir

You have to use 8.1.7 imp utility to import data exported by 8.1.7 exp. There is no backward compatibility so 8.1.6 imp may not understand your file structure.

Sem is right. You have to export using the 8.1.6 version of the export utility. Then your import should work fine.

To do the export, you should be able to run exp on your 8.1.6 server and connect remotely to the 8.1.7 database.

Here is a link to someone who had the same problem. He gives a compatibility matrix for importing one database version to another.

My problem is that I can't connect to the Server with the 8.1.7 database from the server running 8.1.6. What would be ideal is a utility packaged with the 8.1.7 database that would allow me to export the database into a file that the 8.1.6 will understand.
Thanks in Advance.

You may install 8.1.6 utilities to somewhere you have access to 8.1.7 (into separate home on the same box or on some box "near" 8.1.7).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back