Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export to Word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2001
US
In version 8.5 my export of a report with several subreports to Word is intended to look as much like a narrative as possible, less like a list (multiple academic degrees, memberships, affiliations for each person). Here are some limitations I'm seeing in export that are not there in display:

1) If a field is blank, the 'suppress if blank' does not operate, leaving blank lines.

2) When several fields or formulas are placed in a text box, if one of the values is blank, the following ones do not display.

To those who do exports to word often, are there any workarounds? My first inclination was to export to Excel and have mailmerge do the work, but the existence of these multiple text values for each person make creation of the datafile too complicated. Any ideas are appreciated.

Once you get this file to word, what are you going to do with it? Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

Infobabe,
Have you tried downloading crxf_wordw.zip from the CR site, it is a fix for CR 8.5, which eliminates alot of formatting issues during export to word. It gives you a "Word Exact" option in you export choices. Cleared up alot of formatting problems for me during Word exports.

another good discussion of the foibles of exporting to word:
thread767-457059

I found the fix dll and I will try it. I know there are limitations; just want to get the export as good as it can be. Thanks.

Thanks to above posters! Found this thread through a search for a prob I was having with Crystal and it fixed it straight off.

In case anyone is interested the new version of Word Export (the exact one) doesn't include header/footer data on the language the exported doc should use and uses the default. Helps if your clients need to do data spell checking through Word Exports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back