Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export to TXT File and Retain Field Names in Row 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smedvid

MIS
May 28, 1999
US
I have created an export DTS; which works great, with one exception. The user has requested that the first row of the TXT export contain the field names from the view being exported. I searched the DTS Data Pump object interface and did not see this as an option. Am I missing something? Should be a simple checkbox I hope. Thanks in Advance!

Steve Medvid
IT Consultant & Web Master

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

Open up the package,right click on the text file icon, click 'Properties', then click the 'Properties...' button under the file name, and finally you should notice the check box to send field names as the first row. Just check this box, click 'Finish' and you're all set.

Yep - found it and attempted to use it.

However the last two fields of my 165 column export failed to appear in the text file. The source is a view which effectively combines 8 separate views. Unfortunately, 6 of the 8 views are cross tab in nature and semi-complex. My current design is to send each of the 8 views into a #temp table and index primary key; then perform an insert into a real table via a select joining each of the 8 #temp tables (now using an indexed field). Hopefully the table approach will work better. The #temp table approach improved performance greatly. 25 minutes to 11 minutes to produce results.

Thanks!

Steve Medvid
IT Consultant & Web Master

Chester County, PA Residents
Please Show Your Support...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back