Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export To Tape problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hijinks

Technical User
Jun 30, 2003
US
I have a Panasonic PV-DV400 digital video
camcorder connected to my pc (windows xp)
via firewire. I am able to capture video
without any problems. However, I'm unable
to take a finished project and export it
back to the DV tape in the camcorder.

As soon as I click "OK" from the Export
To Tape Settings dialog, the monitor goes
black. The device control appears to work
fine. The "Activate recording deck" option
appears to work in that it will seek and
start the recording process. The camcorder
LED screen shows the recording icon and
timecode, but not the video (just a blue
screen). The light on the pc flashes
indicating that it's processing something.
When I stop the recording and preview what
was put onto tape, nothing is there. The
problem, it seems, is that Premiere is not
actually exporting anything.

I've tried unchecking "Activate recording
deck" and hitting record on the camcorder
manually. Same result--the computer monitor
goes black and no video comes through to the
camcorder.

I am using Premiere 6 LE, the editing mode
is DV playback, DV Device Control 2.0 and I
am using the exact brand and model for my
camcorder in the DV Device Control Options.

Thanks.

-Mike

Hi Mike,
sounds like a known issue with Quicktime 6.1 on MacOSX
Never came accross this behaviour on WinXP.

Try upgrading to QT 6.3, if available for windows.

Alternatively, Firwire is geared up just to drag the signals through your card by simply playing back your project via the program monitor in premiere.

- turn on dv camcorder, set to vcr/vtr (playback mode)
- then turn on computer and open premiere
- load and render your project
- ensure playback on dv device is selected in project> settings> general> playback settings
- press play in program window
- if the signals appear on your camcorder > activate recording manually, no device control needed

Worth a try

FCotW

"Life's too short, why worry..?"

Hijinks,
Don't know if you are living in Europe, but if you do please read on...

I experienced similar problems, not being able to export to videotape. I phoned to JVC (DV camera manufacturer) and they explained me that in Europe it is normally not possible to export back to tape again. It is possible, but this makes your camera more expensive when purchasing it in a shop(paying off all sort of copyright nonsense).

They proposed two solutions: 1) buy new camera 2) go to a good audio/video store, and they're supposed to have some kind of device which you can install between PC and camera (I haven't tried this yet myself).

hijinx,
was wondering if you ever found a result to this problem i have a panasonic nv-mx7. and am getting the exact same problem, i have tryed changing all the settings, re-installed about 5 times, and still no luck, so PLEASE! if you have an answer pls let me know.

heya.

I had a very similar problem, and fixed it simply by switching OFF the "av - dv" setting on the camera. Give it a shot, my camera is a XM2 so not sure if yours has a similar function. Check out the following link for more details of my issues.

see the topic "Can't export dv to camera" under the "firewire" forum on DMN forums if link doesnt work.

Good luck :)

Paul

i've got this problem too, i'm using a Sony PC-101. it works fine on my older computer running xp, but won't work on this one also running xp. very weird, i hope someone finds a solution =T

hey i did find a solution, turns out it was my firewire card, i was running it originally with a firewire card in the old pci slot, then when i upgraded, my mother board had a firewire built in. it would copy off my camera but not back on, anyway, i tryed putting the old firewire in and it now works fine..

yea! i just figured this out on my own as well, i just installed my PCI firewire and it works now! hopefully this helps everyone with the 'export to tape' problem =)

Hi, hope somebody can help me. I'm trying to export to tape via Premiere, however I get the same problem as above i.e. Premiere seems to attain control of my DV camcorder but fails to atually send anything to the tape. My firewire connection is via my PCI Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy, which I've then connected to a multi port hub, which lets me have multiple firewire connections from the front of my CPU. I'm relatively new to the DV editing so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

PS My camcorder doesn't seem to have an "av-dv" option as mentioned above...

ok, if this is the first time in exporting off premiere than it could be your firewire, i have a built in firewire on my motherboard, seems to copy off the tape but when i have finished editing and am ready to export to tape, the video camera responds but nothing comes out on the screen, wich is funny cos you would think that if it can rip off the camera it could back on.. well turns out i put another firewire, (standalone) in the pci and i havnet had any more problems since, so you may want to try that.
another thing you could try is the, hook your camera up with your firewire and try to just play you movie on the screen and see if it comes to your camera,.. but i would try another firewire on its own if you can.
hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back