Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export to excel without excel creating blank rows 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjbrown815

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2006
US
Hello,
After much tedious work, I finally have the report exporting to excel without merging the column cells, but I cant get it to not create blank rows between the populated rows. I have the section in the CR report as tight as I can get it to the fields, any ideas on how to solve this one?

thanks

-CJ

SQL2014// CR Pro 11.5.0.313// Windows 7 Enterprise

"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be"
-KHALIL GIBRAN 1883-1931

Two things to check. All the fields are the size (exactly) and they are all lined up (select all and align top). The right click on section and fit to section.

HI,

I hate, absolutely hate, (did I mention hate?) getting reports in Excel. They are nearly ALL, just about every one of 'em, virtually USELESS!!!

Did I mention that I universally hate getting reports in Excel?

Just generate a .csv file that I can IMPORT into a workbook.

If you want a pretty report, just generate a PDF. In Excel, I don't want pretty. I need useable data in a proper table.

Did I mention that I detest reports in Excel?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Not sure but I think Skip doesn't care for reports in Excel, or am I reading too much into his post?

👍

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

I totally disagree with Skip. I also had trouble while I first started working on exporting reports to Excel, but now I am able to export reports without any unwanted columns or rows.

Unfortunately the need to export to Excel is usually misguided. I have seen that the users want to change the data, or add more data (that probably was available for the report). If they just need the raw data or an import to another database, then I push for .csv.

I agree Kray. The approach I started taking was to either create a small SSIS package and email the results of a query in an Excel file, or link a spreadsheet to the SQL server back end and let the user refresh and do whatever they want in the spreadsheet. I've always felt it kind of defeated the purpose of creating a Crystal Report if all the user was going to do was analyze/tweak/manipulate the resulting data anyway. And to Skip's point, I agree, if you want a REPORT, not a data source, then definitely use the powerful formatting features in Crystal.

And that, plus a buck fifty, gets you a cup of coffee in my neck of the woods ;)

Thank you all for your posts,
the need for this is to give them the data to populate an excel workbook, from there they already have their charts, graphs and so on. I'm replacing a system and I need to make sure they can still get their data, its a band aid at this point until I can take the time to build a full report to replace what they have today. thanks. I am going to explore the csv export, BTW did you hear Skip doesn't like getting reports in excel? its a rumor going around :)

-CJ

SQL2014// CR Pro 11.5.0.313// Windows 7 Enterprise

"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be"
-KHALIL GIBRAN 1883-1931

The first thing I would look for is space in the section ABOVE the fields or subreports.

This article might also help:

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides to Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, Cross-tabs, VB, Tips and Tricks

One of the 3rd-party tools listed on Ken Hamady's web site automatically removes blank rows from the Excel (Data Only) exports.

view, export, burst, email, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Easiest way to avoid extra lines: Select "Excel data only" as your export type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back