Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export to excel with drop down data

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavadan

Programmer
Dec 17, 2007
US
I have to export crystal reports to excel format. One column should have drop down capability when exported to excel.

For ex: Column A has options class A, Class b and class C. But that column should have the drop down capability.

Is this possible in crystal reports or any other workarounds?

Hi,

I would suggest exporting a .csv text file and then IMPORT into Excel via Data>Get external data>Text files...

The reason being that depending on the structure and form of your data, OPENing a text file with Excel can result in some of your data being changed.

Once in Excel, if your data is in a proper tabular structure (one row of headers immediately followed by rows of contiguous data) you can either convert your table to a Structured Table, which automatically makes drop down filters, using Insert>Tables>Table or assigning Filters via Data>Filter. My preference is Structured Table as an essential feature for data analysis.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

To add to what Skip wrote, options for Excel export from Crystal are limited to what you see in the software. There is no way to make a cells in a column be drop-downs. You can only export the data you have.

-Dell

Associate Director, Data & Analytics
Protiviti

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back