Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export to Excel w/out writing over existing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortborg

Technical User
Jul 26, 2001
US
Hi all,

The folks down in accounting (god bless them) have decided that rather than let Access handle their needs, they will still use Excel. Problem is, everyone else is now using my neat new Access database. I've made a query from 3 different tables of the data accounting needs. The problem, is that accounting has an existing Excel document Vouchers.xls and they want the Access query "AccountingExcel" to merge into the existing spreadsheet. When I try to do this, all I can do is have access override the existing spreadsheet and replace it with only the query results. I need the query to append to the sheet, not replace it. Any thoughts/suggestions would be helpful, I need a better job.

-Fort

The answer is simple. I assume you are using the 'outputto' function Simply create a new Excel sheet name using code and concatenate it to your existing name i.e.: vouchers072202.xls or serialize a number of other significance to the user.

I'm not following...you want me to try to generate a different sheet each time, then move them all into one place?

Why not import the contents old Excel sheet, add your new records to the imported data with a union query and then re-write the sheet? The results would be the same as if you appended your data to the historic Excel data.

Tom [pc2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back