Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export table/column information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

XopherS

Technical User
Dec 8, 2006
I am trying to make a sort of database map, listing what fields connect to what other fields, what certain fields even do, things like that. (For info's sake, I'm working with MS CRM, using SQL Server 2005.)

I want to export the list of tables (since there are ~350 tables). Ideally, I'd love to export the list of columns per table. Nothing hugely fancy, just the same info I'd get if I were to select the Columns folder under a table name, and look at the Summary tab.

What should I do?

[tt][blue]
Select *
From Information_Schema.Columns
Order By Table_Name, Ordinal_Position
[/blue][/tt]

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

No, that doesn't return anything useful to me. When I run it, I get tables like 'spt_monitor' and 'spt_fallback_dev'. The tables I'm looking for have names like 'ContactBase' and 'SystemUserRoles' and the like.

Make sure you are ruunning George's code against the correct database

Those are system tables within the master database.

If you connect to 'your' database and try again, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You could also try qualifying the database name, like this...

Code:
Select   * 
From     [!]YourDatabaseName.[/!]Information_Schema.Columns 
Order By Table_Name, Ordinal_Position

-George

Holy cats!

I think I thought I was connected to it, but I wasn't. I did the qualification there, and it worked! Thanks!

I thought you thought you were connected to it, but now think that you weren't but now are. [ponder]

-George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back