Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export query results from client

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzwerlin

Technical User
Mar 2, 2001
US
Is there a method with which to let users download query results from the web into a .csv formatted file? I am using Dreamweaver UltraDev and would think that there might be a server extention out there for this functionality, but have not found any.

Please help.

Hi

I think i can help you if you make these points clear

1. .csv stands for
2. what's going to be your content type (response)
3. What exactly you want to do(in detail)

regards,
srikanth

srikanth,

I'm new to ASP so I apologize if my answers unclear:

1. Comma delimited format-however, any format that users can get into MS Excel would be fine. It just seems this is the most common format I see.

2. Response format--from the server I'm assuming--not sure what you need here, but could be formatted as text or a long text string, but I have several different data types. Regardless, these could all be handled on the import into Excel.

3. Detail: currently I have this setup so a user can process a query based in MS Access. The query results are posted to a table on a results page(.asp). I would like the users to be able to click a button and have the data set downloaded to the user-specified location (client, network,etc.)

Hopefully, this is enough information. I have seen some scripts out there that use the filesystemobject, but I am so unfamiliar with all of this I'm not sure if this is what I need. But from what I can tell from the code, these scripts built a text file/object from the results and then somehow save it to a specific location.

thanks in advance for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back