Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export PDF v Distiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

garykford

Technical User
Feb 26, 2008
GB
I am using an indesign book which could contain 40+ documents which I batch process to PDF using page exporter(so I can have my pages as individual PDF's) and the pdf export options within indesign. The pdf files produced are too big and contain all the hidden information from my linked illustrator files but when they are distilled the file size is hugely reduced. Is there a way to make my PDF's this small at the batch process stage?

Thanks

Gary.

...there are big differences to exporting compared to distiller, exporting maintains the more complex image modelling of our times, compared to distiller. Support for ICC color management, non-opaque objects (i.e. transparency), layers, JPEG 2000 image compression, etc...

...using distiller is a lossy process, live transparency and color management is lost in the creation of postscript for the distillation (via flattening and color conversion) and is the old workflow for creating PDF files, it strips things down because it is based upon postscript interpretation, which is not as advanced as the export method...

...over the years the imaging model has become more complex, enough that the postscript model doesn't support todays advanced features. Adobe stopped at Postscript Level 3 (there won't be a level 4), they are now very much into the APPE (Adobe PDF Print Engine) technology, which is far superior to that of postscript...

...it is therefore recommended that exporting is the best way to create PDF files, and this is despite the fact that you can sometimes get large PDF files...

...so, really as the two processes are very different, you will unlikely get export to work the same as distiller with regards to files sizes...

...acrobat pro does come with the option to optimize pdf files under the advanced menu, this can sometimes reduce sizes, and this process can be batch automated...

...if you do use postscript created pdf files, you can also use acrobat to export to single pdf's, or in acrobat 9 use the split document command across multiple files...

andrew

>>> "all the hidden information from my linked illustrator files" <<<

...regardless of export or postscript method, hidden information is nearly always maintained in my experience, by way of clipping groups, especially true of vector artwork...

...although vector data is often smaller than bitmap data, complex vector and vector heavy documents are difficult to get reduced file sizes, in some cases you have to go to bitmap to achieve smaller PDF files...

andrew

...also to add, in some cases you can end up with larger PDF files when using the postscript route, and as there are many variables to how a document may be structured, it is very difficult to determine whether a distilled PDF will in fact be smaller than via export, this doesn't hold true for every case...

andrew

Thank you very much for this in depth answer, it is much appreciated.

Gary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back