Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export my Access97 report as an email and keep the formatting in place 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruthcali

Programmer
Apr 27, 2000
US
i am using Access97 in a Novell environment.<br><br>i created a report that contains our company logo (.jpg). the report also contains lines and rectangles as well as labels and text boxes.<br><br>i export the doucument using sendobject: <br>DoCmd.SendObject acSendReport, &quot;rptLexent&quot;, acFormatRTF, emailList, , , subject, messageText, True.<br><br>but when i look at the report, the company logo and the lines and rectangles have all disappeared. i am just left with a report that contains text boxes and labels.<br><br>how can i make all the formatting carry over into the .RTF file?<br><br>&nbsp;

Not sure about the rich text format (I think there are some free MSoft white papers on formatting in Word), but if you use the Snapshot format you'll have an easy to send attachment that looks exactly like what you see in the preview.&nbsp;&nbsp;It can be opened by a recipient as long as they have Snapshot exe file (automatically engaged in Office 2000 and 97 I think).&nbsp;&nbsp;It's readily available from Microsoft downloads if not already in place and allows those without Access or the 2000 version to view and print the report.

I've been frustrated with this problem before too, and trying to convince recipients to install new/foreign software is rarely an easy task.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>It seems likely sending the report to a Word document, and then using code to insert the logo and finish formatting, would be possible.&nbsp;&nbsp;From there the doc could be attached to an email.&nbsp;&nbsp;I haven't tried this, but would be interested in hearing if this is feasible.<br><br>Drew

This may seem overly simple, but we just purchased Adobe Acrobat and save the reports as .pdf files.&nbsp;&nbsp;We made everyone install Acrobat Reader (Free) and then they can receive these reports.

cshake,

Assuming that Adobe Acrobat is installed, how do you save the reports as PDF files?

Greetings,
I am having this same problem, but I am trying to get linked photographs to print to a Word97 document. All I get is the text in the .rtf format. I have Adobe Acrobat (the software, not the free reader) and have created the .pdf file, but I want to incorporate each page separately in the Word document. I would have thought that exporting the ACCESS report to a Word document would be built in. Any ideas how to get a Word document out of the report that includes the photos?

Thanks,
Patrick

Hi,
I have read the responses to this question with great interest and appreciate the input. I have tried the snapshot method and it works perfect...but..I need to export my reports to word in an editable format so the recipient can edit it. Anyone have any ideas on this or are we out of luck?

Thanks,
Mark

I'm having the same problems as you ruthcali. At work my using Access 97 but in a NT environment.

I wanted to export my Access Department Head report to word in with grids and company logo but it dosen't work. I use 2002 at home I wonder if there's diff???? Hey, if anyone figures the one out 'PLEASE let me know'...

As fas as I know, using rich text format is the only way to export an editable version of a report to Word. However, this format has many limitations. Sometimes the result looks very similar to the original Access report, but sometimes the fields are jumbled. If you don't want an editable version, the snapshot format works great.

Greetings,
I have tried the snapshot approach, but with two photos I get zero output. It is a little strange that the program seems to churn, but no file ever is produced. The same thing happens in ACCESS. It seems to process the graphics, but where do they go. I have done searches on .snp files to make sure they weren't sent somewhere unexpected. If there isn't a solution to this, it seems to be a large gap in the capabilities of ACCESS, especially since it means that one Microsoft product (ACCESS) is not very well linked to another (WORD).

Thanks,
Patrick

Greetings,
I forgot to respond to MackC regarding the jumbled output in .rtf. I had some problems like this until I realized that each control field must be formatted with respect to justification. I found that once I correctly justified the field (i.e., left-justify or right-justify) everything looked correct in the .rtf output. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Patrick

Hey all,
I just wanted to first say thanks to 'Quehay'your idea worked!!! This morning I downloaded snapshot viewer (or snapshot exe.) from Microsoft home page for Windows NT 4.0 Access 97. Well, snapshot viewer worked like a champion and all of my end users love it. (I'm a hero thanks to you quehay)I get my lines, logos, columns everything shows and the format stays, it prints well too...

The only bad thing is, I had to e-mail the compressed 1.79 meg program to 304 personnel with installation screen shots showing them how it use to darn thing. I'll be spending the rest of the week making sure they all installed it correctly. But after it's installed its smooth sailing...

Problem Solved...

I'd be most appreciative if someone answered. How do you specify that you want to export your reports to pdf. I dopnt see .pdf's in the drop down list of avainlable file formats. Thnx!

- Marvin

A man who has risked his life knows that careers are worthless, and a man who will not risk his career has a worthless life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back