Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export Large Recordset from Access to Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornson15

Technical User
Jul 6, 2005
US
I have been trying to do this for sometime now. I have code that "works" but it takes too long to come back.

I am trying to download a Access query into an array. I cannot take less data than what I am grabbing.

Here is my code:

Function GET_ACCESS_DATA(SQLSTRING As String)
Dim QD As QueryDef, RS As Recordset, RCD As Long
Dim i As Long, j As Long
Dim INFO, DT() As Variant

Set QD = DB.CreateQueryDef("", SQLSTRING)
Set RS = QD.OpenRecordset()
On Error GoTo NO_DATA
RS.MoveLast
RCD = RS.RecordCount
RS.MoveFirst
INFO = RS.GetRows(RCD)

ReDim DT(UBound(INFO, 2) + 1, UBound(INFO, 1) + 1)
For i = 1 To UBound(INFO, 1) + 1
For j = 1 To UBound(INFO, 2) + 1
DT(j, i) = INFO(i - 1, j - 1)
Next j
Next i

GET_ACCESS_DATA = DT
Exit Function

NO_DATA:
ReDim DT(1, 1)
DT(1, 1) = "NO DATA"
GET_ACCESS_DATA = DT
End Function

I connect to the database before this point (this does not slow anything down).

The issue is: INFO = RS.GetRows(RCD)

It just takes too long to "load" the data. Is there any other code that can bring back the data quicker? (It takes this line of code about 3-5 mins to "load" for appro 50,000 rows of data) The table is indexed properly

Thanks for any advise you may have. I will be more than willing to get more specific if need be.

Tom

My question would by why stuff the contents of the recordset into an array? Why not work with the recordset?

Since this is a coding issue, perhaps forum707 (Office VBA) or one of the seven dedicated Access fora are more appropriate?

Roy-Vidar

I reposted in forum707. Thanks for I didn't know exactly where to post this question because it falls within 3 Office programs (VBA, Excel and Access).

You may be able to help really quick though. Can you work with a recordset the same as an array?

Thanks for guiding me in the right direction (both in the posting and the coding).

Tom

Yes, kind of, here's small (typed) sample (though, I should probably have posted it in the other forum ...)

[tt]dim l as long
for l = 0 to rs.fields.count-1
debug.print rs.fields(l).name,
next l
debug.print
do while not rs.eof
for l = 0 to rs.fields.count-1
debug.print rs.fields(l).value,
next l
debug.print
rs.movenext
loop[/tt]

But often the recordset approach - doing lot of stuff with recordsets, are slower than direct query approaches, that is, if you can work with queries in stead (but - recordsets will usually outperform arraystuff - not only because the transferring of information between the recordset and the array takes time ...)

Then - also - if you're just getting the data into excel, you could investigate also the .CopyFromRecordset method of the Excel Range object, which accept recordsets - or some of the Docmd.Transfer<methods> of Access.

Roy-Vidar

You don't explain what you are doing with the data once you retrieve it or why you need to download all of it. That could make a difference in what approach to take.

Do you operate on 1 record at a time? Do you need to compare values between different records? etc.

When I get the data into the array, I match the first field of the array (which is a SKU number) to a list of numbers (up to 65000) in Excel and "paste" down the rest of the data in the array.

So going one record at a time is not an option.

Vidar- Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately some things that "need" to be done have come up here at work. I will not get to fixing this issue until later this week. I will keep you posted on the method i finally take.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back