Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export Images from within Excel and Save As .jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

NixyJ

MIS
Jul 13, 2004
GB
Hi All,

I've read through a number of threads relating to saving Excel as an image but my problem is slightly different.
I have a stock sheet where each row represents a different product.

Each product can have up to 3 pictures in columns E,F and G for example.

As part of an export function I'm writing, when I get to the image columns I would like to save the images themselves to an external folder as jepgs, with each file name dependent on the Product Number in Column A.

Hours of searching have come up with absolutely nothing - please can anyone help or point me in the right direction please?! This could be the deathnell of a huge project if I can't figure this out!

Many thanks all - any help gratefully received!
NixyJ

While I can't be too helpfull I think You answered Your Own question. Store the path and filename then call from there. If you like look into bloob fields(is that right?) I believe that is how you store picture files in a database which very well could or should work with excel. But what the hell do I know. Store the path then load from there. :)

Cheers,

Tom

Well I over looked your subject "Save as .jpg", are you converting file types? if so I've seen many posts on the subject, I believe strongm has quit a few different ways of handling this.(None that I've fully liked :) , with all due respect, sincerely :) ) I hope you don't take that the wrong way because YOU ARE THE S*** :) but anyway I wrote a program using some of your posted advise and found the jpg compression was very minimal, but I am A beginer in comparison and probably didn't do it like you would. The program was a photo adder to front page that I would gladly give to anyone who might find it usefull. I probably overlooked something but I found it very frustrating to add an entire folder of pictures through front page. The only way I saw was to add one picture at a time then right click and create thumbnail. So I wrote a little program to add an entire folder at once including creating thumbnails... but anyway I've been drinking and I'm rambling.

If I see you out I'll buy you a jager bomb

P.S I know my spelling sucks(jager is not right)

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the replies!

I'll have some of what you're swilling if there's any left - would make my afternoon go a whole lot better!!! :)

I'm not converting the file types at all - the photos were originally saved as jpegs before being pasted into Excel.

Once that has happened all sorts of other details such as SKUnumber, colour etc are added around the photos and I want to save the photos back out with file names that are made out of the details that have been added.... if that makes any sense?

I just want to select an object and save it as a jpeg...

Aggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ok I have no idea - but what about a workaround

Anyone feel free to add some real insight...

So when you save the picture save the values you want to another field then retrieve them with the pic. But this is sooo not what your looking for and holds no value but would work, maybe. SKUnumber saved with the pic?, maybe other fields are what you need. I really was just rambling and can't help you, Sorry. Please someone else give some insight worth a damn :).

Tom

>found the jpg compression

My primary solution, using GDI+ as shown in thread222-760856, allows you to adjust the compression. The adjustment is called Quality, and the higher it is, the lower the compression ...

jager, jaeger, yeager, etc. are variations on Jäger, German for hunter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back