Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Export Excel data to xml WITHOUT an existing xsd

Status
Not open for further replies.

DairylandDan

Programmer
Apr 3, 2008
US
Hmm, I've got a problem that I can't seem to get around.

The company has an Excel work book with 11 Sheets. There are many functions moving and altering data entered on one sheet to other cells on other sheets. The state DNR supplies a ready built xml document and wants this data imported into the appropriate xml nodes. But, they don't have an xsd. I've tried creating an xsd from the xml document (via the following example: . . . but, the xsd which is created doesn't work when I try to do the 'export to xml' from within the excel document.

I think it has to do with the 'list of lists' problem.

I'm using Excel 2003 SP3 - Office Professional Edition 2003.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DlD

Update and slight clarification.

OK, I got the xsd to create successfully.

I open the Excel document. Then do Data/XML/XML Source. Then open up the xsd map in the XML Source pain. Then, when I try to export the data, I get the error: "Cannot save or export XML data. The xml maps in this workbook are not exportable."

The one thing that remains from the original post is the fact that I think this still pertains to that 'list of lists' limitation. And I still don't quite understand how to get around that.

DLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back